Arrogate

Squeaky

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Impressive today at SA- Bob has big plans for this son of Unbridled's Song. Beautiful horse.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... anta-anita
Starine

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:02 am

Wow, big plans indeed.

Third dam is Meadow Star.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Brad Free ‏@BradFree1
Arrogate = 105 Beyer on Fri, 1:41.14 fastest SA mile sixteenth this year. Baffert trains 3yo Unbridled’s Song colt for Juddmonte. He's good.
Squeaky

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Anyone know any news on him.. Was wondering where he'll run next? I hope he is not injured. He has so much promise.
Curtis

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Squeaky wrote:Anyone know any news on him.. Was wondering where he'll run next? I hope he is not injured. He has so much promise.
He was nominated and thus was weighted for the San Diego Handicap. I'm assuming he'll only go in there if Dortmund doesn't and last I read all systems are go on him.
Squeaky

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Arrogate won his third race in a row, an allowance race with only 2 competitors at Del Mar...Is Travers next? That would be a big jump in class.
Spahny

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 pm

If that was a paid workout it was a pretty damn good one.

Impressive colt.
Starine

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Baffert reflects on Arrogate's Travers romp
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... avers-romp
middleground

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Arrogate’s half-sister by Medaglia d’Oro is catalogued as hip 226 at the upcoming Keeneland September sale. Bubbler produced a filly by Giant’s Causeway this year and was bred back to Into Mischief.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/un ... n-travers/

It will be interesting to see what the yearling half brings, esp. if she's at least an average looking prospect.
Kelly Ann

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:16 am

Absolutely random thought bubble, it's kind of nifty BB has had two years of 37 being a signature record smashed.

Pharoah with the 37 years of Triple Crown drought ended.

Arrogate with the 37 year record in the Travers smashed.

Any other major 36 year old records we should bookmark for next year? :lol:
Della

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 am

Kelly Ann wrote:Absolutely random thought bubble, it's kind of nifty BB has had two years of 37 being a signature record smashed.

Pharoah with the 37 years of Triple Crown drought ended.

Arrogate with the 37 year record in the Travers smashed.

Any other major 36 year old records we should bookmark for next year? :lol:

I love this stuff!!
Starine

Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:32 am

Bob Baffert forever linked to Unbridled's Song by Steve Haskin
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... -song.aspx
Diver52

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:57 am

It was mentioned on TVG that Martin Garcia rode Arrogate in his debut. Wonder if they'll ever make up? Stewart Elliott and Flavien Prat are apparently happy to follow the program (as well as Smith and Bejarano, of course). Elliott has done very well at Del Mar this summer, for a journeyman who hasn't got much steam since Smarty Jones.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
peeptoad

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:13 am

Starine wrote:Bob Baffert forever linked to Unbridled's Song by Steve Haskin
That was an entertaining piece... nice way to start the work week. Thanks for posting.
Big Ten

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:47 am

I get this sorta Tiznow/Ghostzapper feeling with Arrogate right now.

2000 - I liked Tiznow but regretted not betting him on BC day after his huge 119 BSF in the Goodwood. He was 9/1 and I missed out. Like Tiznow, Arrogate is a late-blooming 3YO just filling out into his big, young body.

2004 - I knew after Ghostzapper's Iselin, nobody was going to beat him. I didn't need to see that inflated 128 BSF to be convinced because he closes really fast in his sprints. I wasn't buying into any other horse. I remember getting to an argument with my gf at the time. And 2.5 months later I was right and she treated me out again to some Lucille's BBQ!

2010 - My heart pick was Zenyatta but I wasn't stupid not betting on the logical pick Blame since he owned wins at that track and was beating better horses. Arrogate is my logical BCC pick as I have faith in him like I had with Ghostzapper and Blame while Chrome is my heart pick but picking him won't pay me better.

Now Arrogate gets criticized for not getting pressured early. Uncontested lead. That happened to GZ too in the BCC! Happened to Chrome a week prior. Arrogate still closed 23 4/5 after running one of the fastest half mile for the race! Even Zenyatta closed at a modest 24 1/5 in her last start. Horses just don't close under :24 after splits like :46+ and 1:10+.

I hope Frosted wins the Woodward and all the East Coast sucker money goes to him. I see Chrome go off to maybe 6-5 or 8-5. Arrogate actually helps the Chromies out with better odds. Now I would love to see Chrome win, but I just don't know now. If Arrogate goes off at 4-1 or higher, I just got to bank on him like I did with GZ at 5-2 in 2004.

BC Classic - Will toss Frosted (likely BCC second-choice) and Exaggerator. Betting Todd Pletcher horses in California is like pissing away all your money. I think Exaggerator is a bigger fraud than Frosted though. I mean Dortmund got his ass kicked going a mile and quarter twice but he still hits the board. What's Exaggerator's excuse for his clunkers? His stock have been greatly exaggerated by mud and a fast pace to win.

BCC play - A big win bet on Arrogate

Trifecta
Chrome over Arrogate, Dortmund, Nyquist
Arrogate over Chrome, Dortmund, Nyquist

That's winners from some of the most prestigious races like the Dubai World Cup, Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Travers along with G1 races like the Santa Anita Derby, Pacific Classic, BC Juvenile, and so on. I might replace Nyquist for American Freedom too but Nyquist seems more proven and looking forward to his "growth spurt." Nyquist is probably one of the more underappreciated Ky Derby winner in recent years.

The way I see it, either a Victor Espinoza BCC threepeat or a Baffert one. Baffert might have half the field and can easily make up the trifecta too if Chrome and Nyquist doesn't fire. That's a take over. And Dortmund and Arrogate are both big horses. Chrome, Dortmund, and Arrogate will be the three most handsome and powerful-looking horses in the field. Frosted looks JV standing next to them and Beholder and Songbird.

Very excited with Arrogate because he is convincing me enough to bet on the BCC and hope Frosted is entered too to ignore him and keeps others' odds float up a little higher. I want Arrogate at 3-1 or higher if I do a win bet.

:23.23, :23.61, :24.01, :24.67, :23.84

Mike Smith is in position to win both the Distaff and Classic with a couple of 3-year olds! Chrome or Arrogate for me ftw similar to Blame and Zenyatta ftw in 2010.

BCC Top 5
1. Arrogate
2. California Chrome
3. Dortmund
4. Nyquist
5. American Freedom
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Starine

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 am

peeptoad wrote:That was an entertaining piece... nice way to start the work week. Thanks for posting.
You're welcome. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Big Ten: You still seem to have an awful lot of faith in Nyquist's Classic chances. I just can't see him rebounding enough at this point to be competitive with the likes of California Chrome and Arrogate.
TapitsGal

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Excited to see what he does from here out. Juddemonte has themselves a handsome one that's for sure
CoronadosQuest

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Starine wrote:Bob Baffert forever linked to Unbridled's Song by Steve Haskin
This is the best part..
Driving back to his barn from the grandstand, Baffert stated emphatically, as only he could, what he would do to get a horse like Unbridled’s Song.

“I’d swim across a river of gasoline with a torch up my (butt),” he said.
Big Ten

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:03 am

Nice read from Steve Haskin. Took me back because the 1996 edition was the first Kentucky Derby I ever watched and won. Exacta boxed Editor's Note with a few horses including Cavonnier and still won because Grindstone was coupled with him.

I was very anti-Unbridled's Song back in the day. Unless the horse was Cigar who won consistently, I just wasn't into favorites especially when they are 3 and the bar shoes and post position really brought his stock down. But to lose by only 3.5 lengths is amazing after what he went through. His FL Derby win still takes my breath away.

Looking back, Unbridled's Song was one of the "what could've beens." He was a 17h beast who never got to fulfill all of his potential. I have both the '96 Derby and Citation Challenge on my smartphones. Cigar is not a small horse. A 16.3h big bay. But if you watch Cigar next to Unbridled's Song or Skip Away, he isn't quite as tall as either of them.

I too will be feel forever linked with names like Bob Baffert, Unbridled's Song, and that 1996 Kentucky Derby since 1996 is the first full year I got into the sport. Reading about Skip Away's death in 2010, Unbridled's Song in 2013, and Cigar in 2014 really breaks my heart. Pieces of my teenage years dies inside when they're gone. But their memories never fade...

Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Squeaky

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 am

So happy for Arrogate.. Have been following him since his maiden when I posted here (and I am from NY area not Calif). Kicking myself that I did not bet but I am not a gambler. Hoping he stays sound and races next year too. I loved UBS and visited him in April of 2013 at Taylor Made, 3 months before he passed away. He let me pet him and feed him mints. A memory I will always treasure. Now I hope to meet his best son someday.