2016 Preakness Stakes

Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 7:48 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Horsebagger wrote: I think we're going to see new players emerge in the second half, one of which is going to scoop up 3 yo eclipse. I think Violin is the best of the Pletcher bunch this year, but overall, below par for him.

Might still be enough for the Haskell win, though.
I'd be surprised if a new shooter did enough to wrest the award away from the big two, but I don't exactly get to hear any buzz- are there some good late-developers lying in wait for the second half?
Unified, Violin. I'm interested to see what Romans does with Cherry Wine since you can't even count him out for a bomb.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Spahny

Sat May 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Mario was undefeated on Nyquist so I don't want to keep going off on him all day. I fairly certain just about anybody in the colony could have managed that though.

Nyquist bailed him out in the BC Juvy in a race he had no business winning with the trip he got. And today he got race ridden by a team from Golden Gate Fields. These things are just true.

Nyquist might have run one of his bravest races to date to hit the board. I guess with that I am finished now.
Miss Woodford

Sat May 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Even though Exaggerator got his perfect conditions today, I'd still bet him over Nyquist if they both run in the Belmont. At least if Mario stays aboard.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:the TVG guys just talked about the 22-and-change opening quarter, and one of them said even the earlier sprints didn't have sub-23 quarters. :?
The clock in Mario's head may need a readjustment.
Track was rather slow today, probably due to it resembling a swimming pool
Do you really think Nyquist is going to run in the Belmont? I'd be shocked, tbh.
That's why I said if he runs. I think his connnections are more likely to wait till the Haskell.
tcw

Sat May 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
tcw wrote:This is purely speculation, but Nyquist was surrounded by speed and my guess is that Nyquist's jock/connections were concerned about getting boxed in early, also perhaps thinking that as versatile and manageable as he's been that he could be backed off down the backside. But the latter didn't happen. Last year, AP went a similar 22 and 4, and then 46 and 2 for the opening 1/2-mile, however, there wasn't an Exaggerator in that field. The track conditions and final times of the last two Preakness' were about the same.
AP got a clear lead and got the deluxe front-runner special ride from VE. It's apples to oranges.
I was going to add that AP went nearly 25 in the 3rd quarter last year and it was evident that VE slowed him down toward the latter part of the backstretch. But I would agree that AP didn't have the company that Nyquist did through the opening 3/4's.
BaroqueAgain1

My absolutely amateur opinion is that we may not get to see these two throw down again in the Belmont. I would not be surprised if Team O'Neill took their colt back home for some freshening before the big summer sophomore stakes. Nyquist had a pretty tough race today and, with no TC on the line, he might have earned some spa time. :P
Tessablue

Somnambulist wrote:
Unified, Violin. I'm interested to see what Romans does with Cherry Wine since you can't even count him out for a bomb.
Violin did run well today, just seems like a lot to ask for any horse to come in and knock off the top two at this point. I'm all for it though- the more the better!

The fractions for this race were pretty interesting- 22.38 46.56 1:11.97 1:38.19 1:58.31. Each quarter was pretty dramatically slower than the last. With all of the rain on the track before the race, I imagine the beyer will have to be mostly guesswork (as it was last year).
Horsebagger

Sat May 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Horsebagger wrote: I think we're going to see new players emerge in the second half, one of which is going to scoop up 3 yo eclipse. I think Violin is the best of the Pletcher bunch this year, but overall, below par for him.

Might still be enough for the Haskell win, though.
I'd be surprised if a new shooter did enough to wrest the award away from the big two, but I don't exactly get to hear any buzz- are there some good late-developers lying in wait for the second half?

Short of Exaggerator looking as good in the mornings at Belmont as he did at Pimlico, I'd bet Nyquist in the Belmont- he's a terrific horse and he still has a major tactical edge in that race.

And once again, I just have to say that today emphasized the fact that both of these horses are awesome, and I can't wait to see them face off again. They are a combined 16-10-3-2 in graded stakes, both throwbacks with graded wins at 2 followed by a Classic win at 3, both run their absolute best every time out no matter the circumstances... despite the fact that it isn't a TC year, we're pretty lucky. I hope everyone keeps sight of that.
I like both these horses. Both solid, if not significantly impressive from a speed figure standpoint. If either one wins the Belmont, they obviously have the advantage in the award race, but it's a long year and there are a lot of big races yet to be run. We shall see.
Sparrow Castle

Sat May 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Nyquist showed there's no quit in him. And I can't be displeased that Exaggerator got the best of him today. I hope they both go in the Belmont. This could be a fun rivalry if they both stay healthy.
Starine

Sat May 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Really chuffed with Cherry Wine's determined runner-up effort to nose out Nyquist. I really liked his sire Paddy O'Prado and was pleased to see to see him get a good horse in his first crop when Cherry Wine came back with that big effort at Gulfstream earlier this year.

A lot of people seem surprised he ran well, but I thought all signs were pointing to a big effort: Lots of speed drawing in, sloppy going, and some really good efforts this spring. He's not a world-beater by any means but he is more than useful

I did have the trifecta, which ended a huge dry spell for me. I can't get very down on Nyquist but what else is there to be said? He was flying early with the cheap speed, could have folded in the stretch but kept fighting to stay in the frame. And congrats to Exaggerator, who has always been knocking on the door.
tcw

Sat May 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Trainer Desourmeux appears to be a throwback as in decades past.... opened Exaggerator's 3yo season with a 7F contest, and whether it's 2 weeks, 3 weeks, whatever 'till the next race, bring it on. It's actually refreshing in this day and age.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 21, 2016 8:18 pm

From David Grening: If the media guide is right, the 22.38-second opening quarter is the fastest opening quarter in the history of the Preakness.
https://twitter.com/DRFGrening
Miss Woodford

Sat May 21, 2016 8:21 pm

IMO Uncle Lino is a little more than just "cheap speed". I'd like to see him in some smaller sprint stakes.
lurkey mclurker

Sat May 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Jeremy Balan ‏@BH_JBalan 48s 49 seconds ago
Team O'Neill's Steve Rothblum on a Belmont run for Nyquist: "Oh, we're going."
lurkey mclurker

Sat May 21, 2016 8:25 pm

horseracinghl ‏@horseracinghl 16m 16 minutes ago
FYI, trainer Dale Romans said Preakness 2nd Cherry Wine will go on to the Belmont along with stablemate Brody's Cause
Starine

Sat May 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:IMO Uncle Lino is a little more than just "cheap speed". I'd like to see him in some smaller sprint stakes.
Okay, that was being a little harsh. I just meant that I didn't think Uncle Lino was the type of horse Mario needed to worry about pressing early.
Horsebagger

Sat May 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Hopefully, Collected will go back to the turf and do some damage as a turf miler.
Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 8:35 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
horseracinghl ‏@horseracinghl 16m 16 minutes ago
FYI, trainer Dale Romans said Preakness 2nd Cherry Wine will go on to the Belmont along with stablemate Brody's Cause
That's great! A really good competitive field.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue

Sat May 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Not sure if O'Neill is just protecting Mario here, but he claims it was his idea to be aggressive early- http://www.drf.com/news/fast-opening-qu ... ll-nyquist

Really hope most of the Belmont probables actually run there. Would be a fantastic race.
Tessablue

Sat May 21, 2016 9:11 pm

TheNyquistVerified account
‏@TheNyquistHorse
Congrats Exaggerator on the race today, see you in 3 weeks at the Belmont. My ride leaves Monday morning. #Belmont #Nyquist

YEAH
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat May 21, 2016 9:16 pm

I was wondering what the hell he was doing up there with those insane fractions. Then again he did try to somewhat slow it down, but after the urging at the start Nyquist was just in "go go go" mode. Would have been no point to wrangle him back. They also were all very wide. In hindsight he shouldn't have rushed him outta the gate. Still would have been enough speed for a stalking position but oh well.

It was a great ride by Kent!

The wise thing would be to bypass the Belmont with Nyquist and freshen him up a bit. I'd be very surprised if they are running there. Can totally see Exaggerator going though.