2016 Preakness Stakes

CoronadosQuest

Sat May 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak 1m1 minute ago
Uncle Lino got a ride home due to slight inflammation in the left front tendon. Was bearing weight on all legs and galloped out.
perfectsoul

Sat May 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Kent's journeyman experience vs Mario's relative inexperience paid off big today.

Edited to add: can I just say that I love Lani lol.
Last edited by perfectsoul on Sat May 21, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carole

Sat May 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Cherry Wine ran way better than what I expected! And I thought Stradivari ran really well for only his 4th start.

Nyquist tried pretty hard down the stretch but he was just burned out. I thought for a moment in the stretch when he switched to Exaggerator's right side he might rally again but he just had nothing left.
Spahny

Sat May 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Congrats to Exaggerator. He's a legit horse. And Kent, for all his faults, is a big game player.

Nyquist was given no chance by his jock. The opening quarter was a tick slower than the 6 furlong Chick Lang. No reason to be going head and head with a horse that will relax for you. Choke.

That's the Mario I know. Nyquist was very game to hang in there the way he did. He will be heard from again.
Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Spahny wrote:
That's the Mario I know. Nyquist was very game to hang in there the way he did. He will be heard from again.
With or without the jock?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Spahny

Sat May 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Spahny wrote:
With or without the jock?
If you are asking me if Mario stays on, I think he probably does.

He's not very good. Not in my opinion. Especially when you have Gary Stevens and Mike Smith just sitting around.
Horsebagger

Sat May 21, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm betting Nyquist over Exaggerator the next time they meet. Quite the perfect setup for the winner today. And the Violin is going to be tough if he stays sound and connections start getting more realistic.
Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Horsebagger wrote:I'm betting Nyquist over Exaggerator the next time they meet. Quite the perfect setup for the winner today. And the Violin is going to be tough if he stays sound and connections start getting more realistic.
Violin has Haskell written all over him. IMO.

It's going to be a really interesting second half of the year.

I agree regarding Nyquist today.
Spahny

Sat May 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Spahny wrote:Congrats to Exaggerator. He's a legit horse. And Kent, for all his faults, is a big game player.

Nyquist was given no chance by his jock. The opening quarter was a tick slower than the 6 furlong Chick Lang. No reason to be going head and head with a horse that will relax for you. Choke.

My mistake. The opening quarter to the Chick Lang was 23.16. So, yeah... much worse than I thought.

I don't think Nyquist ran off without urging. Bailey noted it in the coverage. It was pretty clearly the rider's call to go up and challenge on the lead. Ouch.
Horsebagger

Sat May 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:I'm betting Nyquist over Exaggerator the next time they meet. Quite the perfect setup for the winner today. And the Violin is going to be tough if he stays sound and connections start getting more realistic.
Violin has Haskell written all over him. IMO.

It's going to be a really interesting second half of the year.

I agree regarding Nyquist today.
I think we're going to see new players emerge in the second half, one of which is going to scoop up 3 yo eclipse. I think Violin is the best of the Pletcher bunch this year, but overall, below par for him.

Might still be enough for the Haskell win, though.
firehorse

Sat May 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Spahny wrote:
Spahny wrote:Congrats to Exaggerator. He's a legit horse. And Kent, for all his faults, is a big game player.

My mistake. The opening quarter to the Chick Lang was 23.16. So, yeah... much worse than I thought.

I don't think Nyquist ran off without urging. Bailey noted it in the coverage. It was pretty clearly the rider's call to go up and challenge on the lead. Ouch.
I got the feeling his 'internal clock' underestimated how fast they were actually going, he was looking around pretty chilled to me.
Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 7:34 pm

I can now probably drive my car to Belmont and not have an overly obnoxious crowd. That is a plus. I hate the LIRR.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 21, 2016 7:38 pm

The TVG guys just talked about the 22-and-change opening quarter, and one of them said even the earlier sprints didn't have sub-23 quarters. :?
The clock in Mario's head may need a readjustment.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sat May 21, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcw

Sat May 21, 2016 7:38 pm

This is purely speculation, but Nyquist was surrounded by speed and my guess is that Nyquist's jock/connections were concerned about getting boxed in early, also perhaps thinking that as versatile and manageable as he's been that he could be backed off down the backstretch. But the latter didn't happen. Last year, AP went a similar 22 and 4, and then 46 and 2 for the opening 1/2-mile, however, there wasn't an Exaggerator in that field. The track conditions and final times of the last two Preakness' were about the same.
Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 pm

tcw wrote:This is purely speculation, but Nyquist was surrounded by speed and my guess is that Nyquist's jock/connections were concerned about getting boxed in early, also perhaps thinking that as versatile and manageable as he's been that he could be backed off down the backside. But the latter didn't happen. Last year, AP went a similar 22 and 4, and then 46 and 2 for the opening 1/2-mile, however, there wasn't an Exaggerator in that field. The track conditions and final times of the last two Preakness' were about the same.
AP got a clear lead and got the deluxe front-runner special ride from VE. It's apples to oranges.
Miss Woodford

Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Even though Exaggerator got his perfect conditions today, I'd still bet him over Nyquist if they both run in the Belmont. At least if Mario stays aboard.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:the TVG guys just talked about the 22-and-change opening quarter, and one of them said even the earlier sprints didn't have sub-23 quarters. :?
Track was rather slow today, probably due to it resembling a swimming pool
Izvestia

Sat May 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Mario sucks, always does stupid shit.
Regardless of the 'perfect' set up (sour grapes to y'all saying that), Exaggerator is a far superior horse on mud, and really was compromised in the stretch of the Derby - so yeah, the tables have turned.
I, for one, am delighted to see this horse win this race - he's beautiful, well-bred, and not trained by a slime bucket.
Somnambulist

Sat May 21, 2016 7:45 pm

The tables haven't turned. I don't even know how anyone would, or even why they would, realistically say that.

You don't even need to like Reddam et al. to say that.
Tessablue

Sat May 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Horsebagger wrote: I think we're going to see new players emerge in the second half, one of which is going to scoop up 3 yo eclipse. I think Violin is the best of the Pletcher bunch this year, but overall, below par for him.

Might still be enough for the Haskell win, though.
I'd be surprised if a new shooter did enough to wrest the award away from the big two, but I don't exactly get to hear any buzz- are there some good late-developers lying in wait for the second half?

Short of Exaggerator looking as good in the mornings at Belmont as he did at Pimlico, I'd bet Nyquist in the Belmont- he's a terrific horse and he still has a major tactical edge in that race.

And once again, I just have to say that today emphasized the fact that both of these horses are awesome, and I can't wait to see them face off again. They are a combined 16-10-3-2 in graded stakes, both throwbacks with graded wins at 2 followed by a Classic win at 3, both run their absolute best every time out no matter the circumstances... despite the fact that it isn't a TC year, we're pretty lucky. I hope everyone keeps sight of that.
Horsebagger

Sat May 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:Even though Exaggerator got his perfect conditions today, I'd still bet him over Nyquist if they both run in the Belmont. At least if Mario stays aboard.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:the TVG guys just talked about the 22-and-change opening quarter, and one of them said even the earlier sprints didn't have sub-23 quarters. :?
Track was rather slow today, probably due to it resembling a swimming pool
Do you really think Nyquist is going to run in the Belmont? I'd be shocked, tbh.