The Melbourne Cup (G1)

stark

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:40 am

Overhead video to help explain why Frankie got 30 days worldwide and a $20,000 fine, amazing that they can do that on the same day as the race, do jockeys there have a legal representation, appeal process etc?

https://www.racing.com/videos/2015-11-0 ... opper-shot
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
mimi6920

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:40 pm

I have a lot of Australian friends who have never posted about horse racing on Facebook. Many of them are posting pictures of Red Cadduex at the Melbourne Cup and discussing whether horse racing should be banned. Animal rights are very important to people today (myself included) so I don't think the future looks very bright for horse racing. I sincerely hope Red will be all right and live a full life after this terrible accident.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:41 pm

I was so happy that she won. This is like a movie script with her little brother and all (I got chocked up when he lead the horse to the winners circle). 100-1!!!

And I'm sooo relieved that Red apparently will be okay. *fingers crossed*
arkle

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:11 pm

stark wrote:Overhead video to help explain why Frankie got 30 days worldwide and a $20,000 fine, amazing that they can do that on the same day as the race, do jockeys there have a legal representation, appeal process etc?

https://www.racing.com/videos/2015-11-0 ... opper-shot
You can appeal, and can have legal representation at the appeal. But by and large most other racing jurisdictions operate on a more "Benevolent Dictatorship" model, where the general idea is that by being issued a license is that you are basically agreeing to abide by the rulings handed down whether you like it or not.
Sometimes I feel like in the US the rules are more guidelines that are considered open to negotiation. Also, the US is in general a more litigious society.

Btw, from looking at that video, the ruling seems a bit harsh. While he did cross a path, he had an opening and went for it. I've seen a lot worse. Remember that time that Calvin Borel almost took another jockey's head off on live TV (can't remember if it was at the Derby or BC)? That move probably a lot more dangerous than this one.
arkle

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Btw, Richard Hughes was given a 50 day ban in India a few years back. When he got back to England he appealed to the BHA to have the ban reduced, on the grounds that an equivalent offense in GB would get a much smaller ban. The BHA denied his appeal on the grounds that they had to respect reciprocity.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/horse-racing/17543978
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:01 pm

"Remember that time that Calvin Borel almost took another jockey's head off on live TV ..."

It was at the BC, after the Marathon. Calvin was furious, not because HE was fouled, but because the jock he went after (and I wish I could remember who that was) had badly impeded another rider, nearly causing the horse to go down. Calvin was right behind the incident, and he (rightly, IMHO) was incensed that the jock had nearly killed someone. And if the horse HAD gone down, Calvin's mount may have been next to fall.
Should he have gone after the offending jock on national TV? Probably not. :roll:
He should have followed the unwritten Rules of Racing, and waited until they were both behind the door to the Jockey's Room. And then beaten the stuffing out of him. :P ;)
arkle

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:07 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"Remember that time that Calvin Borel almost took another jockey's head off on live TV ..."

It was at the BC, after the Marathon. Calvin was furious, not because HE was fouled, but because the jock he went after (and I wish I could remember who that was) had badly impeded another rider, nearly causing the horse to go down. Calvin was right behind the incident, and he (rightly, IMHO) was incensed that the jock had nearly killed someone. And if the horse HAD gone down, Calvin's mount may have been next to fall.
Should he have gone after the offending jock on national TV? Probably not. :roll:
He should have followed the unwritten Rules of Racing, and waited until they were both behind the door to the Jockey's Room. And then beaten the stuffing out of him. :P ;)
Sorry, I wasn't taking issue with Borel's post race anger, I was referring to the incident on the track. I don't remember that jock getting much (if any) of a suspension. Was a lot worse than what Frankie did yesterday.
Catalina

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:38 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"Remember that time that Calvin Borel almost took another jockey's head off on live TV ..."

The other jockey was Castellano.
Treve

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:50 pm

A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Seeing that whole thing again makes me want to slap Castellano still. Especially since he sucker punched Calvin when he was having a go at him for being a careless ass.

Also: I can't believe that already 5 years have gone by. Time sure flies. :shock:
Northport

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 pm

mimi6920 wrote:I have a lot of Australian friends who have never posted about horse racing on Facebook. Many of them are posting pictures of Red Cadduex at the Melbourne Cup and discussing whether horse racing should be banned. Animal rights are very important to people today (myself included) so I don't think the future looks very bright for horse racing. I sincerely hope Red will be all right and live a full life after this terrible accident.
I mean, two horses died last year and one the year before. I get that these are freak accidents (at least for last year's race), but for someone who isn't well versed in racing, they may not care what kind of accident lead to the horse dying and merely just see that the Melbourne Cup results in more equine fatalities and injuries than almost any other flat race in the world.
weeeeeeeee
mimi6920

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:11 pm

You are correct Northport; however, I think social media could potentially be horse-racing's biggest enemy. As more people use it, and when bad things happen, the news travels very quickly across people's pages (often with awful photos). I will freely say that I am ashamed to post about the sport in a positive way on my social media because whenever I do, people post (correctly) the awful things that have happened in the support in response to my posts. We can't win this PR war in the long run unless something changes drastically.
lurkey mclurker

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:43 pm

I was so dreading coming home to news that he'd been euthanized... hope lives on. <3
https://rv.racing.com/news/2015-11-03/v ... ed-cadeaux

Racing Victoria (RV) Veterinary Services have issued a further update on Red Cadeaux following the injury sustained in today’s Emirates Melbourne Cup at Flemington.

RV can confirm that diagnostics undertaken on Red Cadeaux at the University of Melbourne Equine Centre at Werribee this afternoon show the horse has sustained a fracture to his medial sesamoid in his left fore fetlock.

The horse is comfortable with his leg in a splint and the fracture is stable.

Dr Chris Whitton from the University of Melbourne advised that the injury is not currently life threatening, however the horse will not race again.

Dr Whitton stated that a plan to repair the injury is being formulated in consultation with other world-leading equine orthopaedic surgeons.

He further advised that he is not planning to undertake surgery tonight noting that the horse is comfortable and that there are several options being considered to treat his injury.

Trainer Ed Dunlop confirmed that Red Cadeaux would be retired and that the connections will be doing everything in their power to ensure that the horse makes a full recovery.

At this point in time a further update will be provided on Wednesday afternoon.
Jumron

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:07 am

I remember this, I was watching the NBC broadcast, and one of the commentators (I'm fairly sure it was Jerry Bailey) also echoed that Calvin should have waited and "discussed" this with Castellano in the jockeys room.
Laughter is an instant vacation.....Milton Berle
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Statement from Ed Dunlop on Red Cadeaux
“It was decided that surgery was the best option for the horse and that Dr Ben Ahern from the University of Adelaide School of Animal and Veterinary Science, an expert in these injuries, would fly in to conduct the surgery alongside Dr Chris Whitton and Dr Liz Walmsley from the University of Melbourne Veterinary Hospital Equine Centre.

“The surgery was undertaken this afternoon and completed earlier this evening. The vets have advised me that the surgery went well and that Red Cadeaux is comfortable standing back in his box and has eaten which is fantastic news for all.
https://rv.racing.com/news/2015-11-04/v ... aux-update
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Ed Dunlop Racing
‏@EdDunlopRacing
We have just been to see Red. Thank you everyone for saving him. A long way to go but fingers crossed.

Okay, I'll quit posting about him now. I just really like this old guy and so want him to pull through. #powerupRedCadeaux
carole

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:53 am

This is Gerald Mosse, the jockey of Red Cadeaux and this is him after his horse's breakdown in the Melbourne Cup. A very powerful image.

Here is the Racing Post article that goes with it...
GERALD MOSSE who has been credited with helping to save the life of Red Cadeaux, described his swift action in dismounting the injured nine-year-old during the closing stages of the Emirates Melbourne Cup as "a normal reflex as a professional".

Trainer Ed Dunlop and his travelling head lad Robin Trevor-Jones both praised the quick thinking of 48-year-old Mosse - who was pictured in tears on his way back to the weighing room - as being key to giving vets on course and at the Werribee Clinic the best chance of saving Red Cadeaux, who has earned legendary status in Australia after finishing runner-up in the Cup three times.

"The horse had given me his best and then he began to feel uncomfortable," said Mosse on Thursday. "He started to give me a signal that something was wrong and so I pulled him up right away.

"Two or maybe three strides later, he changed legs and broke down, so I jumped off immediately, in the first instance to try and prevent us falling and then, to try not to hurt him more. If we get a chance to save his life, to me it's a normal reflex as a professional, to try to do my best."

'You go with your own feeling'

Photos of a distraught Mosse have gone round the world, testimony to both the popularity of Red Cadeaux and the powerful image provided by the emotional reactions to the horse's plight from a jockey with more than 30 years experience.

"This is nothing you can control, you go with your own feeling," said Mosse. "When I saw the photos, it's not that I don't remember but I wasn't thinking, I was reacting. It is a natural attitude when you love animals.

"My major concern was that they were going to put him down. When I stopped him I thought it looked bad but I felt they would probably be able to save him. It wasn't a complex fracture where the bone breaks through the skin, he broke down but he didn't go right down on the floor. "

'Dunlop and Arculli have done 'everything they could'

Red Cadeaux underwent surgery for the injury sustained to his sesamoid bone on Wednesday, with Dr Ben Ahern flying in from Adelaide to lead a surgical team from the University of Melbourne Veterinary Hospital Equine Centre.

Dunlop has tweeted regular updates on the progress of Red Cadeuax and said on Thursday: "We have just been to see Red. Thank you to everyone for saving him. A long way to go but fingers crossed."

Mosse was full of praise for the lengths which Dunlop and owner Ronnie Arculli have gone to in order to give Red Cadeaux the best chance of survival.

He said: "I am so happy that the owner and the trainer love animals and have done everything they could. It is already more than enough.

"Racing is a sport and this is sometime the situation. It can happen to people when they play football or rugby. But the fact that he is still with us makes me more than happy and I am more than happy that he will be able to stay there for the rest of his life."

He added: "He is known worldwide but in Australia he is like a hero and they really appreciate horses over there."
Izvestia

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:56 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Ed Dunlop Racing
‏@EdDunlopRacing
We have just been to see Red. Thank you everyone for saving him. A long way to go but fingers crossed.

Okay, I'll quit posting about him now. I just really like this old guy and so want him to pull through. #powerupRedCadeaux
Keep posting updates. I also just love him and want to know how he is doing!
Citation

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm also glad for the updates. I got to see Red Cadeaux at Randwick earlier this year - it was very apparent how popular he was, and how very loved he was by his connections. Dunlop looked like a proud father every time people would call out praise to him and was willing to chat with the people around the stalls. So sad he got hurt, and definitely a blow.
lurkey mclurker

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Keeping everything crossed that he has a swift and uneventful recovery! <3