Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby mariasmon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 pm

barbaro111 wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This may be one of the last posts in this thread before news about Songbird moves to the Breeding section, but I loved the news that Mr. Porter bought 14 yearlings in the past two months. :D
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -yearlings
From the article:
Porter, who buys under his Fox Hill Farm banner, did his best impersonation of Noah preparing for a heavy rain. At Keeneland, he bought two yearlings by Orb, two by Pioneerof the Nile, two by Giant's Causeway, and two by Ghostzapper. In addition, he purchased a Verrazano filly and a Medaglia d'Oro filly, perhaps with the last named hoping to replace a Medaglia d'Oro filly he recently retired, champion Songbird, who will sell in Fasig-Tipton’s November breeding stock sale.
"I'm finished for the year," Porter said of buying yearlings. "My budget has been reached, and we were able to fill it by the end of the Book 2; it just worked out that way, and we averaged around $300,000, which is our target."
One high-risk, high-reward yearling purchased by Porter was a $625,000 RNA from the Eaton Sales consignment. He is a War Front colt who is a half-sister to champion Take Charge Brandi and a granddaughter of grade 1 winner Take Charge Lady, the dam of champion Will Take Charge and grade 1 winner Take Charge Indy .
"The last RNA I bought from (Eaton Sales') Reiley McDonald was Hard Spun," Porter said, referencing his grade 1-winning earner of more than $2.6 million. "(Trainer) Larry (Jones) thought this War Front colt was the best physical in the sale, but he didn't vet, which was probably why he was an RNA. So we sent the images to (Dr.) Larry Bramlage and he said the issue would heal up, so I made Reiley an offer and we bought him. The pedigree is unbelievable, but the vet issue knocked the big players out. We'll find out how smart I am. Or not."

I think there is a typo in that note about the War Front colt; I'm pretty sure it should read, "...a War Front colt who is out of a half-sister to champion Take Charge Brandi and a granddaughter of grade 1 winner Take Charge Lady..." :shock: :P
I also noticed that Jerry Hollendorfer was not named among the various trainers to whom Rick is sending yearlings. :?

NOT surprised

I noticed any horses they had with the little weasel, aside from Songbird, seemed to have been moved to other trainers even prior to the discovery of Songbird's injury. V can correct me if I'm wrong there. And Battle of Midway, who also remains with JH, was sold to WinStar and partners before the Derby.
mariasmon

Postby Life At Zen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:26 am

Personal Ensign wrote:V- will SongBird's injury affect her ability to carry a foal given the extra weight she would be carrying?

If Always A Princess can be a broodmare, any horse can!
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 am

Personal Ensign wrote:V- will SongBird's injury affect her ability to carry a foal given the extra weight she would be carrying?

No, she'll be fine. The chip is 3/4 separated as of the date we had her checked, but it'll be slowly knitting together with each passing day now that she's not stressing the bone by being in training.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby stark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Previous

Return to Racing