Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby Treve » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Starine wrote:Who would you all like to see her visit in the shed?

I really wanna hear what V thinks on this.

She gets an A++ with Tapit on Truenicks fwiw :lol:
Gets a B with Uncle Mo (though that might be a rather large foal?)
For curiosity's sake I do find it interesting that with American Pharoah the foal would have no inbreeding in the first 5 generations of the pedigree. (C+ rating). With Pioneerof the Nile and Bodemeister she gets a C+ and the foal would have inbreeding in the 5th generation to Mr. P and Northern Dancer.

I thought of Bernardini given Rachel's Valentina was promising before she tailed off so Bernardini over MdO could be interesting, and that gets an A++ rating on truenicks.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:33 pm

The king is Tapit, so I would choose him in all likelihood if we were keeping her. I'd study it far more than I am now, which is just tossing out Tapit. ;-)

It was interesting to see her stats once she got to the farm. I think many thought she's bigger than she is, which is 16 hands and 1088 pounds. I think Grace mayve been a shade taller.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Admin wrote:The king is Tapit, so I would choose him in all likelihood if we were keeping her. I'd study it far more than I am now, which is just tossing out Tapit. ;-)

It was interesting to see her stats once she got to the farm. I think many thought she's bigger than she is, which is 16 hands and 1088 pounds. I think Grace mayve been a shade taller.

No chance you get her for $1 huh? ;)
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Admin wrote:The king is Tapit, so I would choose him in all likelihood if we were keeping her. I'd study it far more than I am now, which is just tossing out Tapit. ;-)

No chance you get her for $1 huh? ;)

Probably not. ;-)
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

This may be one of the last posts in this thread before news about Songbird moves to the Breeding section, but I loved the news that Mr. Porter bought 14 yearlings in the past two months. :D
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -yearlings
From the article:
Porter, who buys under his Fox Hill Farm banner, did his best impersonation of Noah preparing for a heavy rain. At Keeneland, he bought two yearlings by Orb, two by Pioneerof the Nile, two by Giant's Causeway, and two by Ghostzapper. In addition, he purchased a Verrazano filly and a Medaglia d'Oro filly, perhaps with the last named hoping to replace a Medaglia d'Oro filly he recently retired, champion Songbird, who will sell in Fasig-Tipton’s November breeding stock sale.
"I'm finished for the year," Porter said of buying yearlings. "My budget has been reached, and we were able to fill it by the end of the Book 2; it just worked out that way, and we averaged around $300,000, which is our target."
One high-risk, high-reward yearling purchased by Porter was a $625,000 RNA from the Eaton Sales consignment. He is a War Front colt who is a half-sister to champion Take Charge Brandi and a granddaughter of grade 1 winner Take Charge Lady, the dam of champion Will Take Charge and grade 1 winner Take Charge Indy .
"The last RNA I bought from (Eaton Sales') Reiley McDonald was Hard Spun," Porter said, referencing his grade 1-winning earner of more than $2.6 million. "(Trainer) Larry (Jones) thought this War Front colt was the best physical in the sale, but he didn't vet, which was probably why he was an RNA. So we sent the images to (Dr.) Larry Bramlage and he said the issue would heal up, so I made Reiley an offer and we bought him. The pedigree is unbelievable, but the vet issue knocked the big players out. We'll find out how smart I am. Or not."

I think there is a typo in that note about the War Front colt; I'm pretty sure it should read, "...a War Front colt who is out of a half-sister to champion Take Charge Brandi and a granddaughter of grade 1 winner Take Charge Lady..." :shock: :P
I also noticed that Jerry Hollendorfer was not named among the various trainers to whom Rick is sending yearlings. :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby barbaro111 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This may be one of the last posts in this thread before news about Songbird moves to the Breeding section, but I loved the news that Mr. Porter bought 14 yearlings in the past two months. :D
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -yearlings
From the article:
Porter, who buys under his Fox Hill Farm banner, did his best impersonation of Noah preparing for a heavy rain. At Keeneland, he bought two yearlings by Orb, two by Pioneerof the Nile, two by Giant's Causeway, and two by Ghostzapper. In addition, he purchased a Verrazano filly and a Medaglia d'Oro filly, perhaps with the last named hoping to replace a Medaglia d'Oro filly he recently retired, champion Songbird, who will sell in Fasig-Tipton’s November breeding stock sale.
"I'm finished for the year," Porter said of buying yearlings. "My budget has been reached, and we were able to fill it by the end of the Book 2; it just worked out that way, and we averaged around $300,000, which is our target."
One high-risk, high-reward yearling purchased by Porter was a $625,000 RNA from the Eaton Sales consignment. He is a War Front colt who is a half-sister to champion Take Charge Brandi and a granddaughter of grade 1 winner Take Charge Lady, the dam of champion Will Take Charge and grade 1 winner Take Charge Indy .
"The last RNA I bought from (Eaton Sales') Reiley McDonald was Hard Spun," Porter said, referencing his grade 1-winning earner of more than $2.6 million. "(Trainer) Larry (Jones) thought this War Front colt was the best physical in the sale, but he didn't vet, which was probably why he was an RNA. So we sent the images to (Dr.) Larry Bramlage and he said the issue would heal up, so I made Reiley an offer and we bought him. The pedigree is unbelievable, but the vet issue knocked the big players out. We'll find out how smart I am. Or not."

I think there is a typo in that note about the War Front colt; I'm pretty sure it should read, "...a War Front colt who is out of a half-sister to champion Take Charge Brandi and a granddaughter of grade 1 winner Take Charge Lady..." :shock: :P
I also noticed that Jerry Hollendorfer was not named among the various trainers to whom Rick is sending yearlings. :?

NOT surprised
barbaro111

Postby blamethewinner » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 am

Given Porter’s comments, where he more or less insinuated that Hollendorfer ran an injured horse in the Personal Ensign, its no surprise if their business relationship is over.
blamethewinner

Postby barbaro111 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 pm

blamethewinner wrote:Given Porter’s comments, where he more or less insinuated that Hollendorfer ran an injured horse in the Personal Ensign, its no surprise if their business relationship is over.

Songbird is very very special to Mr Porter---she helped him through a difficult time--and Mr Hollendorfer thought she was in great health after that race--and did not think she needed to be seen at Rood and Riddle---we know what the outcome was of that evaluation so my guess is that Mr Porter may feel he can no longer trust JH with his horses
barbaro111

Postby Personal Ensign » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 pm

V- will SongBird's injury affect her ability to carry a foal given the extra weight she would be carrying?
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Personal Ensign

Postby Life At Zen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Given that he's going to make at least a few cool mil selling Songbird, I'm sure that $625 RNA won't hurt the pocket book that much. Glad to see him back in full swing!
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

PreviousNext

Return to Racing