Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby Treve » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 am

I'm incredibly grateful to the team at Foxhill for having shared this fantastic ride with us fans.
I will absolutely treasure that memory of witnessing her Alabama in person. She'll always be special to me - being the one who brought me back to the track in my adult life. :)
The fact she kept performing the way she did in spite of those injuries shows what her performance in the Distaff last year had already told everyone - how much heart she has.
It's sad she couldn't retire after a win, but there are no words to describe how overjoyed I am by the care and attention given to her which allowed to catch this before she seriously hurt herself or worse. If only every horse was looked over as thoroughly as this, one can't help but wonder if certain losses which have happened could've been avoided.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby starrydreamer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:53 am

I'm sorry we won't get to see her beautiful face racing anymore but so thankful that she was vetted thoroughly and the problems were found.

Hoping hoping hoping to see her join FHF alum Havre de Grace. I don't know that her dirt pedigree will attract European interest the way Lady Eli and Tepin will, but I'm sure Yoshida is counting his pennies already. But mostly, I'm glad we never had to see her break down on the racetrack.
starrydreamer

Postby bare it all » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Admin wrote:At first, it was thought that we may not even have to miss her prep for the BC if it was only the suspensories. Usually you inject and give some shockwave treatments while you continue on. But as soon as he came back with the image of the bone, we were bracing ourselves for her being out the rest of the year. Then it got worse from there!

I might be asking for too much information - is this common wear and tear on top horses or even bottom rung? Is there a physical aspect of some horses that make them prone to this?
bare it all

Postby Little Watermelon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 pm

She was fun to watch, best of luck to her and Mr. Porter.
Little Watermelon

Postby shenanigans » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Another note to say thank you for Songbird. It was easy to root for Songbird, not just because I love Eva Cassidy, but because this horse had such heart and such talent; it was a joy and a privilege to watch her race. I am sorry her career has come to an abrupt end, but I will always be grateful to Mr. Porter for listening to his instincts that told him something was not quite right. And kudos to Fox Hill Farm and Dr. Larry Bramlage and his staff for being open and transparent with the public: we need more of this.
shenanigans

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm

bare it all wrote:
Admin wrote:At first, it was thought that we may not even have to miss her prep for the BC if it was only the suspensories. Usually you inject and give some shockwave treatments while you continue on. But as soon as he came back with the image of the bone, we were bracing ourselves for her being out the rest of the year. Then it got worse from there!

I might be asking for too much information - is this common wear and tear on top horses or even bottom rung? Is there a physical aspect of some horses that make them prone to this?

It's not too much information.

I'd say that bone bruising isn't uncommon, and that's how all this started. It became more unusual, I think, when she had a specific area in the bone that wasn't healing in a timeframe normally expected. That it came back, I guess neither he nor us were too surprised that if she had a bone issue again, it was at this specific area.

What I do think was probably highly unusual, and maybe just bad luck, was where this injured bone is located, and the shape of it. It was chipping off into a wedge shape, with the point directed upwards from the bottom of her cannon bone at the ankle. It was 75% separated from the bone. As Dr. Bramlage described it, had it broken away while she was traveling at speed, then it'd drive up into the cannon bone like a wood splitter, resulting in a catastrophic break of the cannon and likely total dislocation from the ankle.

As for physical aspect making a horse prone... I wouldn't have thought Songbird would be prone to this? I know of no conformational issue to blame, nor would I think her breeding would make her weak boned like I might've thought of an UBS/Unbridled pedigree.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Squeaky » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Admin wrote:
bare it all wrote:

It's not too much information.

I'd say that bone bruising isn't uncommon, and that's how all this started. It became more unusual, I think, when she had a specific area in the bone that wasn't healing in a timeframe normally expected. That it came back, I guess neither he nor us were too surprised that if she had a bone issue again, it was at this specific area.

What I do think was probably highly unusual, and maybe just bad luck, was where this injured bone is located, and the shape of it. It was chipping off into a wedge shape, with the point directed upwards from the bottom of her cannon bone at the ankle. It was 75% separated from the bone. As Dr. Bramlage described it, had it broken away while she was traveling at speed, then it'd drive up into the cannon bone like a wood splitter, resulting in a catastrophic break of the cannon and likely total dislocation from the ankle.

As for physical aspect making a horse prone... I wouldn't have thought Songbird would be prone to this? I know of no conformational issue to blame, nor would I think her breeding would make her weak boned like I might've thought of an UBS/Unbridled pedigree.

Will Songbird need surgery to stabilize or remove the separating chip? Is she safe to be in a paddock or is stall rest needed? Thank you.
Squeaky

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:57 am

I don't think they can do anything to stabilize, but don't think they need to if she's not in race training. Dr. BRAMLAGE said she's just fine to immediately go to paddock (normal letdown excepted).
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Starine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Who would you all like to see her visit in the shed?
Starine

Postby Insane Crazy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:46 am

So, so sad to see her retire, but also so glad this was caught when it was. To know that she is safe is beyond measure.

Looking forward to the November fireworks!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

PreviousNext

Return to Racing