Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby blamethewinner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am

Somnambulist wrote:I think in conjunction with her less than thrilling last race, where she also visablly looked meh with a meh figure that it's reasonable to question her going forward when you have other division giants.

Stop trying to objectively analyze races based on how they are run and who competed in them. In the world of unicorns and rainbows, we are to ignore these things and simply look at finishing positions and all celebrate.
blamethewinner

Postby Treve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:23 am

Somnambulist wrote:I think in conjunction with her less than thrilling last race, where she also visablly looked meh with a meh figure that it's reasonable to question her going forward when you have other division giants.

Of course, and I think "Meh" is the right way to put it, but I think how much more you question her also depends on how you viewed her beforehand. I think people who viewed her as indestructible and never questioned how she might fare as an older/against olders going forward from her 3yo season, are probably the most puzzled right now but I recall there being skeptics last year regarding her times and/or her figures. If you look at her Beyers the Alabama was a 95. Her highest lifetime fig was the BC Distaff last year 105. The SA Oaks last year was a 98, the Phipps was a 97 this year. The 3yo or older female with the highest BSF this year is Paradise Woods (107) and she's the only female in the leaderboard for main track Beyers over a mile. I think Stellar Wind earned a 100 last out. I'm guessing the DH will be low 90s maybe high 80s?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a large part of Songbird's mystique and apparent dominance last year was in part due to the level of her competition.
Last edited by Treve on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby luvsgeldings » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

oh we were cheering hard for Songbird yesterday - she did have to work a bit more for it - but she got it done and no one can doubt her heart - she was trying - you can never ask more than that of these beautiful animals.

thank you admin, for letting us know that she came out of the race in good order - and she was happy with herself - love hearing that so much! always want to hear she is happy - that's so great to know - - - her SoCal fans are proud of her - again - - and it was just wonderful to see Mr Porter looking so much better and so happy!

enjoy the victory Team Songbird! I will never lose faith in your lovely filly - will continue to wish her the best going forward - and cannot wait to root for her again next time out!
luvsgeldings

Postby stark » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:44 am

93 BSF
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 am

Treve wrote:

Of course, and I think "Meh" is the right way to put it, but I think how much more you question her also depends on how you viewed her beforehand. I think people who viewed her as indestructible and never questioned how she might fare as an older/against olders going forward from her 3yo season, are probably the most puzzled right now but I recall there being skeptics last year regarding her times and/or her figures. If you look at her Beyers the Alabama was a 95. Her highest lifetime fig was the BC Distaff last year 105. The SA Oaks last year was a 98, the Phipps was a 97 this year. The 3yo or older female with the highest BSF this year is Paradise Woods (107) and she's the only female in the leaderboard for main track Beyers over a mile. I think Stellar Wind earned a 100 last out. I'm guessing the DH will be low 90s maybe high 80s?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a large part of Songbird's mystique and apparent dominance last year was in part due to the level of her competition.

Your last sentence sums it up wonderfully, I think. But a lot of people were saying that all along. If yesterday was not horrendous it certainly was unsightly. It will be difficult to unsee that going forward. I do not think she enjoyed that last furlong at all but I suppose she'll likely never run it again.

That said, she is very talented. I don't know who outside of the people in the comments section of the Blood Horse are taking this race a little too seriously and reacting as such. The twitterverse appeared relatively calm yesterday and payed homage to her talent but that maybe she's over-rated (in terms of historical greats). To the last point I counter who exactly is doing the rating but I digress.

Is it really never humid in Socal? I need to move.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 am

blamethewinner wrote:

Stop trying to objectively analyze races based on how they are run and who competed in them. In the world of unicorns and rainbows, we are to ignore these things and simply look at finishing positions and all celebrate.

Oh man...look, there is certainly room for cynicism and practicality in this hard world. But there is also room for...as you put it..."unicorns and rainbows."
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 am

Somnambulist wrote:Is it really never humid in Socal? I need to move.

I lived in what is locally referred to as the coastal strip in the beach cities of Los Angeles County for 40 years. In that locality it does get humid, but rarely so you'd notice because the temperatures seldom get much higher than the low 80's this time of year. Right now in Torrance, CA, it's approaching 8:00am. The temperature is 68 degrees with a so-called real feel of 72. The high today is expected to be 79. Humidity is 83%, but you just don't feel it the way you would in, say, Charlotte, NC, where I currently live.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby luvsgeldings » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 am

you are right Ridan.... I live close to Los Alamitos racetrack - actually near Long Beach Airport here in California - the humidity/temp combo around here rarely gets as bad as it does in some other places - now when we used to visit relatives in Boston during the summer.... mama mia!! the humidity was off the charts for us California wussies - - that being said, my husband and I still hope to move to Lexington KY in a few years when we retire - and I am pretty sure it gets pretty humid there too.

and Songbird is both talented and gutsy - she has won two 1 1/4 races - she is a tiny margin away from being undefeated in a career as a 2, 3 and 4 year old - like another great female racehorse before her..... does it really matter who she has or has not beaten? the fact is she shows up EVERY time in a career that has lasted more than just one campaign - that says a lot about her - and I respect and admire her!
luvsgeldings

Postby firehorse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Admin wrote:It was a great day to have Rick, all his family, and a ton of friends there for her win.

That said, that was scary. When you expect to win but instead have to work for it, it's scary. But to her credit, it was stifling hot. Christina walking her in paddock was soaked going up to watch race. We were all just watching and dripping. So new, deep track, cross country trip, 1 1/4 in second start back, and lack of acclimation to the humidity, and she still gutted it out. I understand the criticisms. We'll just have to see going forward. She came out of the race well and pleased with herself.

I didn't realize she was shipping back and forth between CA and the east coast, I hope they keep her west for the rest of the year if they are shipping her back to California, a third trip back for Saratoga in such a short time seems pushing it to me but I guess she might be that good that she could pull it off.

Having grown up and lived in both CA an Florida, I would take 112 in the desert over 90 and humid any day, especially on a run.
firehorse

Postby Treve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm

I agree no matter what she's a talented filly and has proven she's got heart on more than one occasion. I'll always cherish the memory of seeing her run last year in person. :)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

PreviousNext

Return to Racing