Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby stark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Maybe she just runs to the level of her competition?
Anxious to hear post race comments from Mike$.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby THIRTYSIXRED » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello Katmandu,

I am also glad to see Songbird won the race, and that Mr. Porter is doing well.

Yes, I would assume it is a CAR-T trial they are using on Mr. Porter. Which version of it (several biotech are involved in this space) I do not know.

Novartis, Kite Pharma, JUNO, and BlueBird bio all do something in the CAR-T space. Can't say for sure which companies trial he is in...but right now KITE and Novartis appear to be a step or 2 ahead of JUNO and BLUE

Also the FDA panel recommendation that went 10-0 in favor of approval is just that...a recommendation that the FDA SHOULD approve the treatment. The FDA does not have to follow that recommendation.

Interesting times for those who previously had not other options. Lots of people to cure...and lots of money to potentially be made investing in those companies (all listed on the stock exchange). Do your own due diligence...you might not only cure some cancer patients...but make a little money for your retirement.
THIRTYSIXRED

Postby blamethewinner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Glad Rick Porter was there to see the win and that his health has improved.

Meanwhile, she's one of the most overrated horses of all time. That was a woeful performance against an absolutely horrific field.
blamethewinner

Postby Starine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 pm

I was a little underwhelmed by the performance, but she does keep winning and it's awful hard to knock that.

Happy to hear that Mr. Porter is doing well and was able to attend the race in person.
Starine

Postby PJMIII » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Songbird Holds Fast in Delaware Handicap

Mike Smith does not often find himself making excuses for a victory.

But there the Hall of Fame jockey was after he collected his third Delaware Handicap (G1) trophy July 15 at Delaware Park, trying to explain why champion Songbird did not carry him to the wire by open lengths in the $750,000 Delaware Handicap (G1).

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... e-handicap

--------------------
PJMIII

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 am

It was a great day to have Rick, all his family, and a ton of friends there for her win.

That said, that was scary. When you expect to win but instead have to work for it, it's scary. But to her credit, it was stifling hot. Christina walking her in paddock was soaked going up to watch race. We were all just watching and dripping. So new, deep track, cross country trip, 1 1/4 in second start back, and lack of acclimation to the humidity, and she still gutted it out. I understand the criticisms. We'll just have to see going forward. She came out of the race well and pleased with herself.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Della » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks for these comments, Victoria. I watched the replay, and yes - it was scary there coming down the stretch. But the good ones find a way to win even when it seems they may lose. A win is a win, even if it wasn't pretty.

So happy for Rick Porter and his family and friends to be together to see his lovely mare win, right after he had just won the biggest prize of all.
Della

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:13 am

Congratulations to the beautiful Songbird -- she of the lovely name and great heart.

There is a photo on Bloodhorse.com of Mr. Porter leading Songbird to the winner's circle. Even though the photo is not very large, you can see that he looks much, much healthier than last time I saw him in the Eclipse awards videos. So happy for him and all his family and friends.

A win is a win. Where is it written that horses must win in some non-defined "spectacular" way? Some things transcend such pointless concerns, and Songbird's win yesterday is one. It was enough that she won, and that she gave Mr. Porter another boost...another reason to keep fighting his disease. Of such fights come breakthroughs that will help everyone in the future.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Treve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 am

I decided to go watch her Alabama again because if memory serves right it is the only other time she ran 10f. She won in 2:03 so a little less than a second faster than she did here. Both tracks are known to be deep and while she won by her usual open lengths last year, it was her third race back since June not her second, and she had much less of a training gap. I also think now that she is an older filly the competition will be a little closer simply as other fillies mature out and get stronger. And because she's maturing out, getting her fit might take more time since she's a larger filly.
I didn't think this race was horrendous at all. It was not dazzling but I had no real problem with it, and it hasn't been the first time Mike had to whip her, I think people are blowing this out of proportion and my first thought about the distance was the Alabama which I had also been mildly skeptical about time-wise but chalked it up to Go Maggie Go.
If as V says it was on top of everything else awfully humid she did very well. She's a horse, not a machine, and how many other horses can say they'll win even on their off day? ;)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:03 am

I think in conjunction with her less than thrilling last race, where she also visablly looked meh with a meh figure that it's reasonable to question her going forward when you have other division giants.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

PreviousNext

Return to Racing