Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby Senator L » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 am

Admin wrote:The most important part of the article is that this new cancer treatment has worked. The cancerous tumors have almost completely disappeared. He goes back in a month, and hopefully he will be cancer free.

As he pointed out, this is obviously important for him, but it's much bigger than that. This treatment has shown through the trials to be almost 95% effective at eradicating blood cancers. So if you know of anyone who is dealing with this cancer, please make sure they know of this treatment. While it's still in trials, hopefully it will be approved to go into widespread use very soon.

I'm so happy for Rick and his family. I know I'm biased, yet I think most would agree that it's also great for racing if Rick Porter's going to owning Fox Hill Farm for quite a bit longer.

Hell yes!
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Senator L

Postby bare it all » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 pm

We just lost a fellow at work 2 weeks ago to leukemia who had tried getting that treatment program. I don't think he had the right kind of leukemia or something like that. He had a bone marrow transplant in January that ultimately failed. Happened so fast... was at work Wednesday, Thursday had a PET scan, Friday hospitalized and gone by Sunday.

So glad Mr Porter is having success. Cancer is a horrible thing and I hope we see a cure in our lifetimes.
bare it all

Postby katmandu » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Admin wrote:
katmandu wrote:CAR T therapy, I would assume?

Yes, think that's what it's called.

I worked with one of the primary scientists in the late 80's (Carl June at U of Penn) that developed it. He was doing a post-doc at University of Washington. A brilliant, driven man and a very good scientist.

It is about to be commercially approved for an indication in children.

https://www.novartis.com/news/media-rel ... proval-fda

There was a story about it this morning on NPR with an interview with the parents and child that was the first patient to be cured.

Such good news for Mr. Porter and his family and friends and all the others who have been and will be saved.

With apologies for going off topic.
katmandu

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Such wonderful news. I could not be happier for Mr. Porter and, yes, all those who will be saved by this treatment. Now go Songbird!!!
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Kurenai » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:39 am

This is amazing. I am sooooooooooo happy for Mister Porter and you all. :D
Kurenai

Postby Treve » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:47 am

Admin wrote:The most important part of the article is that this new cancer treatment has worked. The cancerous tumors have almost completely disappeared. He goes back in a month, and hopefully he will be cancer free.

As he pointed out, this is obviously important for him, but it's much bigger than that. This treatment has shown through the trials to be almost 95% effective at eradicating blood cancers. So if you know of anyone who is dealing with this cancer, please make sure they know of this treatment. While it's still in trials, hopefully it will be approved to go into widespread use very soon.

I'm so happy for Rick and his family. I know I'm biased, yet I think most would agree that it's also great for racing if Rick Porter's going to owning Fox Hill Farm for quite a bit longer.

"Fantastic" news doesn't even begin to cover or convey this. I'm sure we are all thrilled to hear this, V!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby stark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:59 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby luvsgeldings » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 pm

best of luck to the lovely Songbird..... looking forward to watching her soon on TVG - always such fun to cheer on this wonderful filly! - and to our dear Admin - enjoy the race - we are rooting for you! and most of all.... sincerely happy to read the wonderful news about Mr Porter! continued best wishes to him always - - so very happy for him and everyone who loves him - its a joy to read some good news these days! good luck to Team Songbird - so happy we all get to enjoy watching her run again!!
luvsgeldings

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 pm

She won! Maybe not by the open lengths we may have been looking for, but still... :D
And she's now 4th on the earnings list of US-bred fillies and mares, right behind Royal Delta.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby firehorse » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Congratulations to all her connections. I thought she looked a little tight all the way around but she wasn't gonna let anyone by her.
firehorse

PreviousNext

Return to Racing