Songbird

Re: Songbird

Postby lurkey mclurker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:53 pm

That was a very interesting article (I can remember when top handicap horses carried 130+lbs)... and yeah, the chart notes are a little dissonant but I think giving from eight to thirteen pounds weight over a mile and a quarter and a deep track on a hot/high humidity day... actually it makes me more impressed with the way Songbird gutted it out. She may not have "dominated" in terms of daylight between her & Martini Glass (and the rest of the field) and she may have tired, but she dug in and didn't quit.
lurkey mclurker

Postby Treve » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Treve wrote:Some food for thought and some perspective:
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/arc ... monds.aspx

I wrote out a very long response to this blog before realizing that it really doesn't merit any serious thought- Rosalind was hardly a "high weight victim" when she carried 119 and lost to two mares carrying 118. I don't see why all these cognitive dissonance exercises are necessary... sometimes a disappointing race is just a disappointing race. There's every chance she just hasn't moved forward at four, but I'm sure we'll learn more in her next start.

You'll notice if you read my prior posts that I'm generally in the "meh" camp and had a rather moderate feeling/approach to it. But I thought that was a pretty interesting article and while I don't know if it has merit, it certainly made me consider a different angle I hadn't given thought to before, because as the article mentions the Handicap as a 'thing' is withering away. I scoffed the other day when I saw the noms for the SDH and saw a horse was assigned 109lb...
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 pm

She wasn't really referring to your post I think, but rather the article.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah my comment wasn't intended as a dig against anyone here, just the link itself. Happily, this forum has evolved to a place that is substantially more measured than what I see on twitter (did you know she would beat Arrogate?) or in comments sections on other sites. I won't begrudge anyone for thinking the effort was a bit better than it looked given the circumstances, but there's nothing productive about the Bloodhorse demonizing "naysayers" and skewing facts (while promoting what may be my least-favorite fallacy in the game, the "one pound equals one length" absurdity) to paint it as an objectively good performance. I mean, if anything, the people who expected better are paying her a compliment! A lot is expected from a filly of her class and quality, and while I'm a little doubtful as to her talent ceiling relative to some of our recent champions, her past two races aren't going to damage her legacy in any way. And we've still got half a year to look forward to.
Tessablue

Postby Treve » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Yeah I know it wasn't specifically directed at my post. To be honest I kind of just mentally ignored the aggressive fanboying ( :D ) portion of the article, but rather the angle that they were offering having possibly some merit. posted it with the goal of trying to generate some discussion.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby barbaro111 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Tessablue wrote:Yeah my comment wasn't intended as a dig against anyone here, just the link itself. Happily, this forum has evolved to a place that is substantially more measured than what I see on twitter (did you know she would beat Arrogate?) or in comments sections on other sites. I won't begrudge anyone for thinking the effort was a bit better than it looked given the circumstances, but there's nothing productive about the Bloodhorse demonizing "naysayers" and skewing facts (while promoting what may be my least-favorite fallacy in the game, the "one pound equals one length" absurdity) to paint it as an objectively good performance. I mean, if anything, the people who expected better are paying her a compliment! A lot is expected from a filly of her class and quality, and while I'm a little doubtful as to her talent ceiling relative to some of our recent champions, her past two races aren't going to damage her legacy in any way. And we've still got half a year to look forward to.

she was a brilliant three year old: the jury is still out this year. we shall see.
barbaro111

Postby PJMIII » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Songbird (4-Year-Old Filly)
Date: July 26, 2017
Track: DEL MAR
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 48:60 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
PJMIII

Postby stark » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Britney Eurton‏ @BritneyEurton

Spoke w/ Asst. trainer Dan Ward, Champion Songbird will be nominated to both the TVG Pacific Classic & Personal Ensign.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman 3s 3 seconds ago

RLT, Songbird to be nominated to Personal Ensign at SAR 8-26 too. If she goes in Pac Classic, & Arrogate does, too, Smith must choose.
lurkey mclurker

Postby stark » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:52 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman 3s 3 seconds ago

RLT, Songbird to be nominated to Personal Ensign at SAR 8-26 too. If she goes in Pac Classic, & Arrogate does, too, Smith must choose.

So Smith might face a difficult decision in the TVG-Pacific Classic, hmmmmm!

A---Songbird
B---Arrogate
C---Noneoftheabove ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing