Take Control

pointgivenfan

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:42 pm

second_glance wrote:
pointgivenfan wrote:
second_glance wrote: How long has Shah been in the game?
Apparently a while:

http://www.drf.com/news/owner-kaleem-shah-racing-blood
Shah became a citizen in the early 1990s, giving up his Indian citizenship in the process. (“You can’t be married to two wives,” he explains.) A few years later he finally was able to indulge himself as a racehorse owner...
Okay. I was under the impression he hooked up with Baffert and started spending big bucks fairly recently, as in the last several years.
I had no idea either until I found that article.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
TapitsGal

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Irrefutable was shahs horse too
Life At Zen

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 pm

One of the most fragile horses in the game. He should've been retired ages ago. This was only a matter of time.

Just sad...
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:26 pm

As a baby.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
BlindLucky

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:45 pm

From Blood-Horse: BC Marathon Contender Take Control Euthanized

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... euthanized
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
amfuller

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Santa Anita: Take Control, son of A.P. Indy and Azeri, euthanized

By Steve Andersen
http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-tak ... euthanized
amfuller
Kay16

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Had no idea they were pointing him to the BC Marathon, or the BC in general. And I have no idea why they would considering his record, his most recent race, etc.

Terrible news. :cry: Although we'd hate to see his soundness issues passed on, his breeding was just too good to not be at stud. I admired the fact that they didn't give up on him racing with all his issues, but at the same time you have to wonder maybe with those issues he should have been retired a while ago. There will always be mixed feelings about that. He had so much potential, this is so sad. RIP handsome boy. :cry:
second_glance

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Poignant photo of trainer Vann Belvoir assisting Martin Garcia after he was thrown when Take Control went down: https://twitter.com/TheGallopOut/status ... 16/photo/1
ElPrado2

Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:25 am

If his soundness issues were that bad, he did not need to be at stud. I do not belong to the school that thinks the genes must be passed on just because the mommy was So and So and the daddy was
Whozit. Why pass unsoundness on?
Kay16

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 am

ElPrado2 wrote:If his soundness issues were that bad, he did not need to be at stud. I do not belong to the school that thinks the genes must be passed on just because the mommy was So and So and the daddy was

I agree we don't need soundness issues passed on but there's also no guarantee his issues would have been. His breeding is/was just too damn good. You can't actually expect a son of A.P. Indy (who is gone too) and Azeri (who only has, now had, one son to stand stud in the U.S.) to get sold to some little girl as a companion horse.
Pronzini

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:48 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:If his soundness issues were that bad, he did not need to be at stud. I do not belong to the school that thinks the genes must be passed on just because the mommy was So and So and the daddy was
Depends on why he is unsound. If a back at the knee horse gets hurt, it's easy to say that you don't want him at stud. But horses can just get hurt and there is not always a correlation by pedigree.
Flanders

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Pronzini wrote:
Depends on why he is unsound. If a back at the knee horse gets hurt, it's easy to say that you don't want him at stud. But horses can just get hurt and there is not always a correlation by pedigree.
Wasn't his issues always/mostly shin related? Bucked shins, shin splints?
ElPrado2

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 pm

If he was sound, sure. But everything I am reading is the no more than 4 starts, could not stand training, too bad he was so unsound, if he had been sound he would have been retired and off to the breeding shed already. From the sound of it he had 4 legs going in 4 directions with some added jinks and bumps on the way.
BornToWin

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 pm

I was so sad to read Take Control was dead. In pictures taken the weeks ahead of his death he looked ill-- thin and frail. It is especially sad the situation wasn't accepted and the horse retired. Even The Green Monkey got a second chance as a sire and now has winners. Never say never.

Except never is the only answer for this horse. As someone said earlier, his story is haunting...