Take Control

Pronzini

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:48 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:If his soundness issues were that bad, he did not need to be at stud. I do not belong to the school that thinks the genes must be passed on just because the mommy was So and So and the daddy was
Whozit. Why pass unsoundness on?
Depends on why he is unsound. If a back at the knee horse gets hurt, it's easy to say that you don't want him at stud. But horses can just get hurt and there is not always a correlation by pedigree.
Flanders

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Pronzini wrote:
ElPrado2 wrote:If his soundness issues were that bad, he did not need to be at stud. I do not belong to the school that thinks the genes must be passed on just because the mommy was So and So and the daddy was
Whozit. Why pass unsoundness on?
Depends on why he is unsound. If a back at the knee horse gets hurt, it's easy to say that you don't want him at stud. But horses can just get hurt and there is not always a correlation by pedigree.
Wasn't his issues always/mostly shin related? Bucked shins, shin splints?
ElPrado2

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 pm

If he was sound, sure. But everything I am reading is the no more than 4 starts, could not stand training, too bad he was so unsound, if he had been sound he would have been retired and off to the breeding shed already. From the sound of it he had 4 legs going in 4 directions with some added jinks and bumps on the way.
BornToWin

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 pm

I was so sad to read Take Control was dead. In pictures taken the weeks ahead of his death he looked ill-- thin and frail. It is especially sad the situation wasn't accepted and the horse retired. Even The Green Monkey got a second chance as a sire and now has winners. Never say never.

Except never is the only answer for this horse. As someone said earlier, his story is haunting...