Dortmund

Re: Dortmund

Postby Della » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 am

Just read some Facebook chatter that Dortmund has been retired and is awaiting transportation to Kentucky. Does anyone know more reliably what might be happening for this guy?
Della

Postby Ziggypop » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 am

Della wrote:Just read some Facebook chatter that Dortmund has been retired and is awaiting transportation to Kentucky. Does anyone know more reliably what might be happening for this guy?

I hope this is true. He deserves to be done, if that is what he wants.
Ziggypop

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:27 am

Della wrote:Just read some Facebook chatter that Dortmund has been retired and is awaiting transportation to Kentucky. Does anyone know more reliably what might be happening for this guy?

Pretty sure that was posted on April 1st on twitter and people ran with it

He was nominated to the Charles Town Classic.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/M ... tions_123#
CoronadosQuest

Postby stark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Dortmund, the winner of the 2015 Santa Anita Derby and five other stakes, has run his last race. Trainer Art Sherman told Santa Anita publicity on Sunday that Dortmund has been retired and will be sent to stud.

No arrangements have been finalized for Dortmund's stud career.

A 5-year-old, Dortmund won 8 of 16 starts and earned $1,987,505. He was winless in two starts at Santa Anita this year, finishing sixth in the Grade 1 Frank Kilroe Mile on turf on March 11, and fourth in the Santana Mile on April 1.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36088
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Northport » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:41 pm

I could see him doing well in a regional market. Though I could see Spendthrift standing him in KY
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby WarBiscuit » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Dortmund decided he was retiring a long time before Shah made the decision. His lack of enthusiasm can't entirely be pinned on Art Sherman, as it seems the big horse was not going to run for anybody at this point. Glad to see him off of the track, and hope he does well at stud - wherever that may be.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby luvsgeldings » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 pm

yup I agree.... I think dort was done some time ago - heart not in it anymore - hope he enjoys his new life - - read the bloodhorse story and thought Shah's comment about not wanting Dortmund to go thru 'what Bayern went thru' was interesting - Shah also commented about the bout of colic dort had the week before the Ky Derby - shame for this horse - you wonder how he would have fared if he had been absolutely 100% in that Derby.
luvsgeldings

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:58 pm

We've often talked about how we like to see our star colts get to run at four or even five. Arrogate is arguably better at four than he was at three and 'Chrome definitely thrived as a five-year-old. We speculate about whether American Pharoah could have been even better as a four-year-old.
But Dortmund? The big chestnut has just gotten slower as he's gotten older. :(
I don't know if it's because he soured on racing, or because it has gotten harder...and maybe more uncomfortable...for him to accelerate that massive body over the track. IMHO, probably a bit of both.
I'm fond of Dortzilla, and wish him well, but....if I were a breeder, I don't know if I would be calling to book my mares. :? Guess I'd rather book Big Brown, who is available for just $7,500.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Happy Retirement, Big Guy! Hope Dortie has success as a stallion!
CoronadosQuest

Postby Diver52 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Yeah, he has some question marks especially as Big Brown had some foot issues as well--but I really liked the big guy. Always been a sucker for chestnuts. Have a good life, Dortzilla.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

PreviousNext

Return to Racing