Dortmund

Re: Dortmund

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Macaroni wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Victor was urging him to get up through traffic and run with the leader, in a bit of a duel. I wonder how he would do if the rider didn't go for the lead, and just let him settle mid-pack. Would he do better if he had more time to get that big body of his rolling?

This. This is exactly my thinking.

I think you need a turn of foot to get moving. Dortmund has always lacked that.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Horsebagger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:where are all the 'Art Sherman is a good trainer' fans now?

While I agree that Sherman was the beneficiary of a bunch of women who could use hormone regulation, I'm not sure anyone was going to do anything with Dortmond.

If the juice couldn't why was an honest trainer?

He's 1 for 20 since January 1. Clock is ticking on when Shah takes the horses he gave him away. I don't see him as a patient guy while lacking results.
Horsebagger

Postby Macaroni » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Macaroni wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Victor was urging him to get up through traffic and run with the leader, in a bit of a duel. I wonder how he would do if the rider didn't go for the lead, and just let him settle mid-pack. Would he do better if he had more time to get that big body of his rolling?

This. This is exactly my thinking.

I think you need a turn of foot to get moving. Dortmund has always lacked that.

This is true. I just think his large frame prevents him from having enough speed to really be competitive in the shorter (mile or less) races. He seems to be more competitive when he can use the speed he DOES have over more ground/time.
Macaroni

Postby Macaroni » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:where are all the 'Art Sherman is a good trainer' fans now?

While I agree that Sherman was the beneficiary of a bunch of women who could use hormone regulation, I'm not sure anyone was going to do anything with Dortmond.

If the juice couldn't why was an honest trainer?

He's 1 for 20 since January 1. Clock is ticking on when Shah takes the horses he gave him away. I don't see him as a patient guy while lacking results.

Do you think Shah would be more likely to take away the horses he gave Sherman, or just chalk it up to a Dortmund problem, retire the big guy, and keep the other horses with Art?
Macaroni

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Wasn't Adorable one of the horses that Shah got mad at Baffert about? I see she has run 8th and 4th while being in Art's care.
CoronadosQuest

Postby Starine » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I can't see Shah keeping his horses with Art long with these types of results. He doesn't strike me as the patient type.
Starine

Postby Ziggypop » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:22 pm

sweettalk wrote:no distance will help him. i don't care what his best or worst is, he didn't look happy to be racing. if this race had been longer, he'd have been further back.

I am more inclined to agree with you more than anything of the other's comments.
Ziggypop

Postby stark » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Curtis wrote:
Macaroni wrote:Going to reiterate that I wish they'd stretch him out. He has pretty much proven that he does not perform well at a mile (and DOES perform well when going a little longer), so why keep throwing him into milers? Baffles me completely, but will hope to be surprised today.

So let's say you are training him. What spot specifically would you enter him?

According to the listed stakes schedule, today's 1 1/2 Tokyo City was an option, or the April 22nd G2 Californian at 1 1/8th for $200K. Otherwise the choices seem to be wait for Del Mar or ship somewhere with no guarantee of covering travel expenses.

I'm guessing that Alanart was hoping for a good showing then coming back in 3 weeks for the 3nup G2 event. Now what?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby blamethewinner » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:04 pm

So an ouchy, problematic horse went to a vastly inferior trainer and has fallen apart? Shocking!
blamethewinner

Postby ElPrado2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Dortmund doesn't need anything more than slower competition.
ElPrado2

PreviousNext

Return to Racing