Vegas Handicapping Contests

Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby stark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am

Anybody here do these kinda things?

Fall Classic Handicapping Championship
Format: Win Only 12 wagers per day
Registration: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 9:00am-5:00pm
Contest: October 10-12, 2013

Mardi Gras Ballroom will be open for betting from 9:00am-5:00pm.

Over $225,000* in Prize Money

Your $500 Entry Fee Includes:
• Three days of tournament action
• Special deluxe tower room rate $40, Monday-Thursday and $80, Friday and Saturday, October 9-13
• One set of racing forms for each day, October 10-12
• Daily buffet lunch (Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
• Additional complimentaries based on daily race play

Contest Tracks
Thursday, October 10: Belmont, Hawthorne, Keeneland, Laurel, Santa Anita
Friday, October 11: Belmont, Hawthorne, Keeneland, Laurel, Santa Anita, Calder, Woodbine
Saturday, October 12: Belmont, Hawthorne, Keeneland, Laurel, Santa Anita, Calder, Woodbine
http://www.orleanscasino.com/play/race- ... ournaments
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby Little Watermelon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm

You're asking in this forum? :lol:

Never played in a Vegas contest, Suffolk used to have them from time to time, my wife and I would play. She did well in a couple, I never hit the top 10.
Little Watermelon
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby ElPrado2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I could very likely be delivered by truck if someone puts up the entry fee. However, sharing the sleeping cab with the driver may be iffy.
User avatar
ElPrado2
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby Rick1323 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:23 pm

I have done a few in Vegas over the years. Only cashed once. I haven't done one in a while, most of the formats favor one big bomb winning the whole thing. It can be very annoying to watch one 30-1 horse skew then entire contest. I never did get the hang of handicapping for that one or two big bombs.....
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby stark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Rick1323 wrote:I have done a few in Vegas over the years. Only cashed once. I haven't done one in a while, most of the formats favor one big bomb winning the whole thing. It can be very annoying to watch one 30-1 horse skew then entire contest. I never did get the hang of handicapping for that one or two big bombs.....


The math is pretty much the same year after year in this format, no mandatory races, win wagers only, your choice of major racetracks, mythical bankroll.

Start with $3,600, that's twelve $100 wagers per day, increase your bankroll to about $10,000 by the end of 3 days, and you'll be cashing a nice check for real money. How you get there, be it a $30 bomb or a bunch of $9 winners is up to you.

Other tournament formats have come and gone over the years but the Orleans still does a good job of packing them in the big ballroom, quite the atmosphere for a 3-day vacation, wall to wall monitors, handicappers, cashiers lines, free food and drink, what's not to like, I recommend it highly.

Think about other ways to spend $500 on vacation......what does one really do with pictures of Mt. Rushmore or the Grand Canyon, how long do the scents of smelley olde churches last or how sunburned can you get laying on the beach?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby Little Watermelon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Not to sidetrack the thread but some of those Suffolk contests were interesting. A friday night they played night tracks, Sam Houston, Mountaineer, etc. Larry Collmus was there to help run it . Some 1st time bomber won at one of thse tracks and a whole table had him. Another 1st timer won when Suffolk was one of the tracks, paid almost $100, and someone had him. An elderly man in his late 80's won one tournament and went to Vegas. They were fun and you usually met a few people at your table who were interesting to talk to.
Little Watermelon
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby stark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Little Watermelon wrote:They were fun and you usually met a few people at your table who were interesting to talk to.


Agree 1,000%.

Year after year the same faces show up at the Orleans, I'm terrible with names but I remember the Army guy from Maryland and the pharmacy sales lady and the Hawthorne expert as well as the beach bum from SoCal, the guy in the wheelchair that needs a runner and the high roller from Laurel that sits near the $500 window. It's great fun to meet up once or twice a year, share a few bad beat stories and explain how we're gonna get 'em next time!

Without a doubt the easist-hardest way to spend a few days where anybody can succeed.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby Rick1323 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 pm

stark wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:I have done a few in Vegas over the years. Only cashed once. I haven't done one in a while, most of the formats favor one big bomb winning the whole thing. It can be very annoying to watch one 30-1 horse skew then entire contest. I never did get the hang of handicapping for that one or two big bombs.....


The math is pretty much the same year after year in this format, no mandatory races, win wagers only, your choice of major racetracks, mythical bankroll.

Start with $3,600, that's twelve $100 wagers per day, increase your bankroll to about $10,000 by the end of 3 days, and you'll be cashing a nice check for real money. How you get there, be it a $30 bomb or a bunch of $9 winners is up to you.

Other tournament formats have come and gone over the years but the Orleans still does a good job of packing them in the big ballroom, quite the atmosphere for a 3-day vacation, wall to wall monitors, handicappers, cashiers lines, free food and drink, what's not to like, I recommend it highly.

Think about other ways to spend $500 on vacation......what does one really do with pictures of Mt. Rushmore or the Grand Canyon, how long do the scents of smelley olde churches last or how sunburned can you get laying on the beach?


It is a long trip for me, but I still manage 3 or 4 trips a year. I have never done the Orleans contest. I did a couple at GVR and one at Red Rock. My problem was the lack of a realistic cap on win wagers. I always have thought 30-1 was too high, so I voted with my feet. But they are a lot of fun, and you can't beat 2 or 3 solid days of horse players and handicapping.
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:I could very likely be delivered by truck if someone puts up the entry fee. However, sharing the sleeping cab with the driver may be iffy.


Can't help you with the truck, but I think a few of the ones for the NHC (where if you qualify they pay you to go) are free. There are some online, but I can't recall if they're free.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 7279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Vegas Handicapping Contests

Postby Catalina » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Can't help you with the truck, but I think a few of the ones for the NHC (where if you qualify they pay you to go) are free. There are some online, but I can't recall if they're free.


There's very few free ones. There was one last Saturday, with the top five finishers getting a free berth to the National shindig in January. Mostly there are feeder contests that you have to pay to get in, with the price going up the later in the year it is. I haven't looked lately, but it's probably around $200 to 250 for the feeders right now.
Catalina
 
Posts: 3089
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Next

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Charlie and 15 guests