"Bubble" and "Watch" horse thread

Diver52

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:15 am

WTF are they thinking?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Northport

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:28 am

He raced in December, finishing 6 of 7. I know that the Wertheimers no longer own him, but they have more than enough resources to buy him back and send him to Old Friends or a retirement facility. Hopefully someone steps up, since his current connections don't look willing to.
weeeeeeeee
Ziggypop

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 pm

This is just sickening appalling.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:57 pm

A screaming example of why it is so hard to continue to support Thoroughbred racing for so many people. If I only had the money...instead there's only tears that stay inside because shedding them won't solve anything.
stark

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Diver52 wrote:WTF are they thinking?
Has there been an interview with the connections, any clues as to the other side of the story?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
sweettalk

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Diver52 wrote:WTF are they thinking?
i'm gonna go with "they weren't thinking".
Sparrow Castle

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Just_Dana @Luvtheponez
13h13 hours ago
Replying to @ThorobredInfo @BreedersCup
Owner/trainer @Acacia_Racing please do the right thing. Maybe @donnakeen might have some answers as to what happened with his stud career ending or know how to contact current/past connections since Silentio stood at Keen Farms.

Donna Keen @donnakeen
12m12 minutes ago
All but one mare that he bred was confirmed in foal. His stallion career ended due to non payment. Not one cent the whole time he was standing. I had to threaten to have a sheriff's sale to get paid and have him moved to another breeding farm.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Kaitlin Free @kaitlinefree
11m11 minutes ago
sounds like Silentio will be retired again. future plans unsure but we better find out.
Northport

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Just_Dana @Luvtheponez
13h13 hours ago
Owner/trainer @Acacia_Racing please do the right thing. Maybe @donnakeen might have some answers as to what happened with his stud career ending or know how to contact current/past connections since Silentio stood at Keen Farms.

Donna Keen @donnakeen
12m12 minutes ago
All but one mare that he bred was confirmed in foal. His stallion career ended due to non payment. Not one cent the whole time he was standing. I had to threaten to have a sheriff's sale to get paid and have him moved to another breeding farm.
People who sent him mares weren't paying? Or Acacia Racing wasn't paying Keen Farms board/fees?
weeeeeeeee
Miss Woodford

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Northport wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Just_Dana @Luvtheponez
13h13 hours ago

Donna Keen @donnakeen
12m12 minutes ago
People who sent him mares weren't paying? Or Acacia Racing wasn't paying Keen Farms board/fees?
"have him moved to another breeding farm" implies Acacia wasn't paying their bills. Scumbags.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Sounds like folks are (understandably) skeptical of word that he is now retired.

(This is coming on the heels of an urgent rescue of 11 TBs in the last few days, who it appears went straight from the racetrack to the kill pens in Louisiana. It took many of the best in this industry - Migliore, Rich Papiese, Ahmed Zayat, Graham Motion, Matt Schera, Zoe Cadman, among many other large and small donors - to bail them out. They are currently being assessed and identified. This is a different story and all too familar...https://twitter.com/icareihelp).

Austin @AustinJankowiak
5h5 hours ago
Replying to @tgrashian @TurfwayPark
Tamara, he is now officially retired from racing and was in good order & walked back to the barn after his start, per the Turfway Park racing secretary who talked with his trainer.

Kerry couch @Kerrycouch4
24m24 minutes ago
Replying to @AfterFinishLine @neal_cfneal9 and 7 others
I would very much like to c verification of his safe/secured retirement to 2nd career. I am skeptical of “official track” comments. I hv OTTBs on my farm “offically retired” but found in kill pens. I would like proof Silentio is safe, as would many people.

S.O.S. @NotCloudyAllDay
11m11 minutes ago
Replying to @primeequine @serial54 and 5 others
Thank you for this thread. Glad he's "Retired," but that would be for the third time. I would ask @TurfwayPark to find out for everyone exactly where Silentio will retire.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:36 pm

To Save a Life: The Greatest Feeling in Racing
I am about to start the 2018 Derby Dozen. As I have for the past 40 years, I will be writing about all the beauty and elegance that has defined Thoroughbred racing from the beginning of its inception centuries ago. It gives one a cathartic feeling to capture the royalty and impeccable bloodlines of the Thoroughbred, as well as its power and courage. It truly is the Sport of Kings.

But beyond every throne and every lavish palace there is an underbelly. Like all the great kingdoms of the world throughout history there are those who live in squalor. These are the common folk who barely eke out a living and exist in a far different realm than the nobility that defines them in the history books.

In my early days in racing back in the 1960s and '70s, I saw only Dr. Fager and Damascus and Secretariat and Forego and Ruffian and Seattle Slew and Affirmed. Call it ignorance or naivety, but Twitter and Facebook and one very special person jolted me into the real world and I was able to finally see racing's underbelly, as unpleasant as it may be. I knew it was there and have written about it briefly and on rare occasions, but it is time to address it with more conviction and direct my admiration not to a fast Thoroughbred, but to a woman who is herself a Thoroughbred.

Racing’s underbelly that I alluded to includes the slaughter of horses by owners who are unfit to own Thoroughbreds and care nothing for what they contribute to the human race, as they have for centuries. We all grew up with horses in one way or another, whether through books, movies or television, with some actually living out their childhood fantasies growing up around horses, whether on farms or at the racetrack, thanks to their parents' involvement.

If only all those who get involved in racing can see that each and every Thoroughbred is special; born of the blood with a desire to run a hole in the wind. Not all are sound enough or fast enough to compete at high levels. But that doesn’t mean they don’t try just as hard. Each Thoroughbred is a work of art in its own way, the product of centuries of breeding. And each should be treated with equal passion and dignity. You will find horses trying just as hard at the small bush tracks as you will at Santa Anita and Belmont Park.

But who are these owners who purchase Thoroughbreds through the sales ring or the claiming box, go through them as they would a household appliance, and then get rid of them as they would a piece of junk that no longer works to their satisfaction. How, you ask, can any human being, with even a shred of goodness and caring in them cast aside a living creature for purposes of greed or just plain laziness? How can anyone sentence these magnificent creatures to a horrible death? Are these the same lowlifes who abandon their pets on the side of the road in the dead of winter?

As pathetic and inhumane as these people are, the sport of racing, whether Thoroughbreds, Standardbreds or Quarter Horses, is also guilty in its own way, because it has the power to prevent such cruelty. Yes, we have made strides with some racing jurisdictions revoking the licenses of any owner caught sending their horses to slaughter. But "some" is not enough. It must be "all."
More: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... acing.aspx
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 am

I think I'm kind of all over the place where I post updates about the crisis at Camarero, but the situation really hasn't improved much. And CTA still needs donations.

CAMARERO: FOUR MONTHS ON, A DIRE SITUATION FOR THE HORSES
Four months after Hurricane Maria ripped through Puerto Rico, wreaking havoc on Hipodromo Camarero racetrack in the process, the situation is still grim for its equine population.

While electricity and running water have been restored, and live racing has resumed three days a week, the barn area remains a shambles and horses are being euthanized at a steady pace.

But had it not been for the heroic efforts of Kelley Stobie and Shelley Blodgett of Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare, the death toll would be much higher. The CTA is a nonprofit organization founded last year with Eduardo Maldonado, currently vice president of Potrero Los Llanos, one of the most prestigious breeding operations on Puerto Rico, and it transitions horses from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands for post-racing lives, both on the islands and back on the U.S. mainland.

Stobie, an equine therapist who has lived in Puerto Rico for 25 years and who started the first OTTB rehoming program for Camarero, Save The Horses, Inc., in 2010, was on the scene immediately after Hurricane Maria – now regarded as the worst natural disaster on record in Dominica and Puerto Rico. She helped clear access to the horses so that they could be watered and fed.

Blodgett, a retired clinical psychologist in Wellington, Florida, was in contact with industry organizations such as Thoroughbred Charities of America, The Jockey Club, the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Ranch Aid (a FEMA-appointed organization that assists with logistics and care for large animals during natural disasters), Brook Ledge and Lorraine horse transportation, the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance, Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, and the U.S. Equestrian Federation, to name but a few. With a response both immediate and overwhelming, organizations began donating planeloads of feed, hay, veterinary supplies and other necessities.

Despite the outpouring of help the last four months, many – perhaps most — of Camarero’s horses remain in trouble.

MORE THAN 100 HORSES EUTHANIZED TO DATE

“Many horses are still in stalls with no bedding and no roofs, and most have issues with their feet from standing on concrete, muck and wet flooring,” said Blodgett. “The euthanasia rate has skyrocketed, and trainers are racing horses in bad physical condition, many 3 and 4-year-olds. Camarero started live racing too soon.”

To date, more than 100 of the total horse population of about 1,000 have been euthanized, nearly all from colic or laminitis. CTA knows the names of 67 horses, but there are 40 more that Camarero security has euthanized but hasn’t revealed the names.

“Some horses are being well cared for, but many others, those with owners with no money, have been abandoned,” said Blodgett. “There is long-standing animosity between the track and the owners, and this disaster has deepened the divide.”

“Not one barn has been fixed,” said Stobie. “Camarero management hasn’t done anything, and now they are saying they are waiting for insurance money, and it may not be until March that they’ll start fixing things. Owners have asked Camarero to sign the barns over to them, because that’s the only way to get them fixed.”

Stobie said that there about 20 horses that are in very bad shape, housed in portable stalls by horsemen that have little money.

“Some trainers have tried to do their best, but owners are walking away from the situation, and the horses are being euthanized,” she said. “I can’t walk away; this is what I do.”
More: http://www.theracingbiz.com/2018/01/20/ ... on-horses/
Starine

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Captain Scotty Impresses in California Debut
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rnia-debut