Match Races & Walkovers In Horse Racing

mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:32 am

Since 1823, match races became very popular to horse racing fans across the nation. The first ever match race in the history of horse racing was a race between American Eclipse and Sir Henry at the old Union Course in Long Island, New York. The distance of that race is four miles. Seven years before the Civil War, which divided our nation between slavery and freedom, in 1854, there was a race between the two horses, Lexington and Lecomte. As we entered the twentieth century, there had been a few match races that the horse racing fans are familiar with. In 1920, the great Man O' War defeated the first Triple Crown winner Sir Barton in the 1920 Kenilworth Park Gold Cup at the old Kenilworth Park Racetrack in Canada. In 1938, the great Seabiscuit defeated War Admiral in the Pimlico Special, and the winner was ridden by George Woolf. In 1955, Preakness and Belmont winner Nashua, with Eddie Arcaro aboard, defeated the Santa Anita Derby and Kentucky Derby winner Swaps in a match race at the old Washington Park Racetrack in Illinois. In 1975, millions of viewers watched tragedy unfold, as Ruffian pulled up down the backstretch, but Foolish Pleasure had no choice but to finish the race all by himself, under jockey Braulio Baeza. Other match races had forgotten such as the 1972 Match Race between Convenient and Typecast at Hollywood Park Racetrack in Inglewood, California, 1991 Match Race between the quarter horse Griswold and the thoroughbred Valiant Pete at Santa Anita. Between 2002 and 2003, there had been three match races between the two great racing mules, Black Ruby and Taz at Del Mar, Fairplex, and Los Alamitos. Also in 2003, there was a match race between Julie Krone on Woke Up Dreamin and Patrick Valenzuela on Chester's Choice in the Battle of the Sexes Invitational at Del Mar. In 2010, there was another match race between David Flores on Cat Brando and Martin Pedroza on Dave's Ruler in the King of the Ring Invitational at Fairplex in Pomona, California. Recently, a match race between Mike Smith on a horse named Joker Face defeated Chantal Sutherland on a horse named Parable in the Battle of the Exes Invitational at Del Mar in 2011.

Horse Racing fans are also familiar with walkover, a race that only has one horse in it. There had been two walkovers that the horse racing fans were familiar with, Citation's walkover in the 1948 Pimlico Special and Spectacular Bid's walkover in the 1980 Woodward Stakes at Belmont Park. We also had a walkover in California, Sharp Cat's walkover in the 1997 Bayakoa Handicap at Hollywood Park.

My question for all of you horse racing fans on this website is that are we going to see another big match race just like Seabiscuit and War Admiral in the future? If so, why do you think we are going to see another big match race in horse racing history? :idea:
BlindLucky

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 am

Man O'War's Laurence Realization might as well have been a walkover, only one other horse entered and he beat him by 100 lengths.

There are very few instances where I'd like to see a match race. You can't even get a lot of these horses' connections to agree to meet each other in normal races.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:51 am

BlindLucky wrote:Man O'War's Laurence Realization might as well have been a walkover, only one other horse entered and he beat him by 100 lengths.

There are very few instances where I'd like to see a match race. You can't even get a lot of these horses' connections to agree to meet each other in normal races.
Blindlucky, the question is why we saw match races that are not that big just like the one between Seabiscuit and War Admiral in the past two decades?
Vertigo

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 am

mchorseracecall wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:Man O'War's Laurence Realization might as well have been a walkover, only one other horse entered and he beat him by 100 lengths.

Blindlucky, the question is why we saw match races that are not that big just like the one between Seabiscuit and War Admiral in the past two decades?

There's no way a race will be as big as the Seabiscuit/War Admiral match unless horse racing reaches the popularity it was once at.

Back in the hay day, there was a whole lot more public pressure for match races than there is today, which I think is a huge factor on why they're hardly proposed. Ever since the Foolish Pleasure/Ruffian match, there will likely never be one between two champions again because of the fear associated with it.
mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Vertigo wrote: There's no way a race will be as big as the Seabiscuit/War Admiral match unless horse racing reaches the popularity it was once at.

Back in the hay day, there was a whole lot more public pressure for match races than there is today, which I think is a huge factor on why they're hardly proposed. Ever since the Foolish Pleasure/Ruffian match, there will likely never be one between two champions again because of the fear associated with it.
Vertigo, what about walkover? Do you think walkover is a race, or it's just for amusement for the horse racing fans?
BlindLucky

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:Vertigo, what about walkover? Do you think walkover is a race, or it's just for amusement for the horse racing fans?
If no one else is going to enter, what else can you do? These aren't pre-planned.
Vertigo

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:11 pm

mchorseracecall wrote: Vertigo, what about walkover? Do you think walkover is a race, or it's just for amusement for the horse racing fans?
Eh, it is still technically a race especially when it is a G1 event. Still gotta run it. With all the money in purses though, im sure owners are aware that finishing second by a mile is still a pretty good check.
Lord Helpus

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I don't expect to ever see a match race again. Both horses have more to lose than they do to gain. Anda horse's running style can be more determinative of the outcome than the actual merits of each horse.

I also do not think we will ever see a walkover. Not when placing second in a big stakes race is so lucrative, in terms of money and future in the breeding shed.
Northport

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Apparently there was supposed to be a match race between Montjeu and Dubai Millennium, before DM was injured and forced to retire... that would have been something, although I think Dubai Millennium's ability to sprint for upwards of a mile would have sealed the deal pretty quick
weeeeeeeee
Catalina

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Lord Helpus wrote:I don't expect to ever see a match race again. Both horses have more to lose than they do to gain. Anda horse's running style can be more determinative of the outcome than the actual merits of each horse.

I also do not think we will ever see a walkover. Not when placing second in a big stakes race is so lucrative, in terms of money and future in the breeding shed.
Exactly.
Miss Woodford

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm

There are plenty of de facto match races that were obviously carded for two specific horses but include another horse or three as "filler".

i.e. the Lucy's Bob Boy/Russell Road match race at CT back in May that had a 3-horse field.
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFC ... USA&race=8

Or the ill-fated matchup between Saginaw and Caixa Eletronica at Saratoga this year.

Then there are the gimmick match races - QH vs. TB, man vs. horse, Battle of the Exes, etc. that will go on as long as tracks are desperate for publicity.
mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:There are plenty of de facto match races that were obviously carded for two specific horses but include another horse or three as "filler".

i.e. the Lucy's Bob Boy/Russell Road match race at CT back in May that had a 3-horse field.
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFC ... USA&race=8

Or the ill-fated matchup between Saginaw and Caixa Eletronica at Saratoga this year.

Then there are the gimmick match races - QH vs. TB, man vs. horse, Battle of the Exes, etc. that will go on as long as tracks are desperate for publicity.
Miss Woodford, what I mean by match races, is a races with only two horses in it.
mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm

About a walkover, a race with only one horse in it, I want to ask all of you horse racing fans what is the best strategy for a horse racing announcer to call a walkover race?
pointgivenfan

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Don't.
The horse is doing all the talking that needs doing.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

I seriously doubt there will ever be a match race between stakes-caliber horses in the foreseeable future...
and the reason is just one word: RUFFIAN.
mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:10 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I seriously doubt there will ever be a match race between stakes-caliber horses in the foreseeable future...
Does anyone know what is the best strategy for a race caller to announce a walkover, a race with only one horse in it? :?:
BlindLucky

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:20 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:Does anyone know what is the best strategy for a race caller to announce a walkover, a race with only one horse in it? :?:
A walkover isn't likely to occur, so this is a moot point.

And if you want to save a little time with your typing, you don't have to address "the horse racing fans on this site" because it's kind of a given that we all are :)
Barnfour

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:02 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:About a walkover, a race with only one horse in it, I want to ask all of you horse racing fans what is the best strategy for a horse racing announcer to call a walkover race?
You should find some walkover races on youtube,turn the sound off and practice calling these races from your couch.I'd be willing to bet you forget all the horses names in the race while you're calling it though~
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Barnfour

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:09 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I seriously doubt there will ever be a match race between stakes-caliber horses in the foreseeable future...
Does anyone know what is the best strategy for a race caller to announce a walkover, a race with only one horse in it? :?:
'Strategy'?

Dude,you can't really be in college.Fess up.No one that is in college or any university can be this stupid~
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
mchorseracecall

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Barnfour wrote: 'Strategy'?

Dude,you can't really be in college.Fess up.No one that is in college or any university can be this stupid~
You are wrong, Barnfour, the truth is I graduated high school few years ago, and I am currently in college. Here is the strategy for me when I called Spectacular Bid's walkover in the 1980 Woodward Stakes, I use the fractional time to call that race. Also, I describe the pace of the horse, the motion from jockey Bill Shoemaker, and the horse's background information such as "Spectacular Bid is the winner of the 1979 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, but finished third behind Coastal in the 1979 Belmont Stakes, the final leg of the Triple Crown Series!", I did a very nice job calling a race that's about a decade before I was born. If you want me to go up to the announcer's booth and assault Larry Collmus, and you want me to go to jail, go ahead, but to be honest with you, I don't hang out with those disgruntled fans, I always follow the law, and I don't want myself to be in jail. :evil: