Cozmic One

Re: Cozmic One

Postby BornToWin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I love this colt. He is so elegant. I don't know if he has his mama's gumption and drive, but he is beautiful and built to run.

And I thought he was quiet for a young animal leaving the barn alone. Even the lawn mower didn't bother him. He never twitched his ears that I saw in the video. Makes sense he was sedated. I thought it unusual his legs weren't wrapped. Maybe not?
BornToWin

Postby Northport » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 pm

BornToWin wrote:I love this colt. He is so elegant. I don't know if he has his mama's gumption and drive, but he is beautiful and built to run.

And I thought he was quiet for a young animal leaving the barn alone. Even the lawn mower didn't bother him. He never twitched his ears that I saw in the video. Makes sense he was sedated. I thought it unusual his legs weren't wrapped. Maybe not?

For a trip that long (KY to FLA) it is common to not wrap
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby ElPrado2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I doubt that he really paddled anyway. He is tranquilized. His balance would be off. He is likely managing to counter act it as best he can. He also will widen through the chest as he matures.
ElPrado2

Postby Kay16 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 am

ElPrado2 wrote:I doubt that he really paddled anyway. He is tranquilized. His balance would be off. He is likely managing to counter act it as best he can. He also will widen through the chest as he matures.

Agree. Watching the video, you can tell he is definitely sedated. Don't we all have a funny walk when we're on the good stuff? Except he's got 4 legs to deal with. haha I'd be surprised if his walk (which to me wasn't as noticeable as some think), was from anything but the drug.
Kay16

Postby ElPrado2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:07 am

Weanlings, yearlings and 2 year olds go through a number of growth stages, too. I have read so many complaints about yearlings not having enough in the way of withers. To me, it just proves they do not have a clue. The withers do not really start developing until around their 2nd birthday. Right about then, the withers shoot up. The rear end develops sooner, so they look high in the butt. The withers and shoulders come along a little later. Then the chest widens.
ElPrado2

Postby EquineAnne » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:43 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:Weanlings, yearlings and 2 year olds go through a number of growth stages, too. I have read so many complaints about yearlings not having enough in the way of withers. To me, it just proves they do not have a clue. The withers do not really start developing until around their 2nd birthday. Right about then, the withers shoot up. The rear end develops sooner, so they look high in the butt. The withers and shoulders come along a little later. Then the chest widens.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the info you share. To someone that knows diddly about horses it's welcomed.
EquineAnne

Postby ElPrado2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Just like humans. I think my nephew shot from about 5 foot 6 to 6 foot 6 between ages 14 and 16. His jeans were usually 3 inches short during that time. :lol:
ElPrado2

Postby Kelly Kip » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Northport wrote:
BornToWin wrote:I love this colt. He is so elegant. I don't know if he has his mama's gumption and drive, but he is beautiful and built to run.

For a trip that long (KY to FLA) it is common to not wrap

Especially a yearling who's probably never had a bandage on in his entire life. First long distance van ride is NOT the place to start.
"They will embrace that which will destroy them, and shun all that could save them"
~Percipicus

"Emotions are inherent in your nature, but their content is dictated by your mind." - John Galt | Atlas Shrugged
Kelly Kip

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:53 pm

"Especially a yearling who's probably never had a bandage on in his entire life. First long distance van ride is NOT the place to start."

Now I would have thought the opposite...that a long van ride for an inexperienced colt would be be the ideal place for him to get into trouble...and possibly ding his legs. And that wrapping his legs would have been something his groom could have been practicing in the safety of his stall before he ever shipped out.
But, I'm not an owner, so I will take your word, Kelly and NP.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Kelly Kip » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:43 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"Especially a yearling who's probably never had a bandage on in his entire life. First long distance van ride is NOT the place to start."

Now I would have thought the opposite...that a long van ride for an inexperienced colt would be be the ideal place for him to get into trouble...and possibly ding his legs. And that wrapping his legs would have been something his groom could have been practicing in the safety of his stall before he ever shipped out.
But, I'm not an owner, so I will take your word, Kelly and NP.

I've seen more damage from a horse having a bad wrap job/stomping wraps down during the trip than any that were not wrapped. We would usually get 10-20 yearlings in from both OBS & KEE (each) every year, and none were EVER wrapped. Only ones that ever came in with bandages were from the track.

In all likelyhood, Coz was in a box stall (first time shipping I would hope), which gives them more move around, balance, etc.
"They will embrace that which will destroy them, and shun all that could save them"
~Percipicus

"Emotions are inherent in your nature, but their content is dictated by your mind." - John Galt | Atlas Shrugged
Kelly Kip

PreviousNext

Return to Racing