2013 Horse of the Year

Man o Taz

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:37 pm

If she wins.

I like Close Hatches and hope that she redeems her loss in the Kentucky Oaks, but Princess of Sylmar is pretty incredible.

And then there is the reigning queen in Royal Delta.

Good field.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Lord Helpus

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 pm

I do not follow statistics, but Princess of Sylmar seems to win every time she races. Does she have to run in (and win) the BC Distaff to be considered for HOTY Or is there a scenario by which she could be a finalist without running again this year?

If she runs in and wins the Distaff, and neither Dude or Dan win, is she an automatic for HOTY?

(I am presupposing that her connections are still leaving the door open for the BC --- or have they absolutely said "no way, Jose"?
dustino140

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Generally horses that have run in 'restricted' races (females, juveniles), as Princess of Sylmar has, don't enter the Horse of the Year equation unless they do something exceptional and if the crop of older male horses is completely mediocre. Unless, of course, your name is Zenyatta and the voters just want to hand you what is essentially a lifetime achievement award. Furthermore, their desire to skip the Breeders' Cup will likely completely eliminate her from such discussion. I really can't fathom a scenario where she would win the award. Then again, I don't care enough about it to think through every scenario, either.
larrythek

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Princess of Sylmar hasn't established that she's the best distaff in America quite yet IMHO. Royal Delta would still be favored if they met again. R.D. is an enigma to me. Princess of Sylmar has put together the best 3 Y.O. of either sex to this point, but with a good showing in the breeders cup by one of the top colts, she would slip to second or third... Princess Of Sylmar for HOY? No way...Beyers...84/81/83/97/105/98/105.....Not even a nomination with those dirt Beyers...Very excited to see her 4 year old campaign...Needs to get those dirt BSFs into the 108-115 Range for HOY talk.....Its Wise Dan and Game On Dudes world for this and perhaps next year. Princess Of Sylmar is easily the most rapidly improving top filly / mare heading into 2014 and will be a fan favorite and with continued improvement could find herself in next years BCC..Then she'll be a legitimate HOY candidate..
ElPrado2

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:46 am

I know one that put himself out of the running.
Cross Traffic.
He managed to hurt himself and is out for the rest of the year. No Classic for him.
Man o Taz

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 am

And then there was one - only one undefeated in 2013 Horse of the Year candidate: Game On Dude.

I had thought it a bit peculiar that Wise Dan was running back in three weeks - meaning that we would be in 3 races in 7 weeks which was different from the recent racing schedule he had been on this year or in past years. Granted - he did have 3 weeks between his first race - the Maker's 46 Mile and the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic - but that was at the beginning of the year after a 5 month layoff. This is the end of the year.

He had seven weeks between the Turf Classic and the Firecracker and then six weeks between the Firecracker and the Four Star Dave and then 4 1/2 weeks until his next race - the Woodbine Mile. Now six races in seven months doesn't seem too taxing...but maybe it was. He only raced six times last year, but eight times the previous year. Let's hope it sets him up well for the BC Mile.

It's really tough to say given that the race was taken off the turf and half a furlong added.

So, Game On Dude is slightly up after these results being that he is the only HOTY candidate remaining horse left who can stay undefeated this year - other than .

Some have suggested that Princess of Sylmar might be a candidate for Horse of the Year - and she has had an incredible year with seven wins from a mile to a mile and 1/4 including the defeat of the reigning Distaff Eclipse winner - Royal Delta. But to have a serious chance at the trophy she would need to compete in the BC Distaff which it seems her connections have no interest in doing given their plans to campaign her next year.

That said she does have 4 Grade 1 wins and only one loss - a place finish to Close Hatches in the G2 Gazelle which she avenged in the Kentucky Oaks.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

I heard Rich Perloff this morning relaying some info that Pletcher and Stanco have not ruled the Distaff out, after all. 'Weighing their options' seems to be the most popular phrase. I suspect that she'll put in some works and, if she's eager, cleaning her feed tub, 110% healthy and kicking down the stall, she may get the green light.
But...doesn't she have to be supplemented for mucho dinero?
We'll probably find out for sure the day entries have to go in.
Man o Taz

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:44 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I heard Rich Perloff this morning relaying some info that Pletcher and Stanco have not ruled the Distaff out, after all. 'Weighing their options' seems to be the most popular phrase. I suspect that she'll put in some works and, if she's eager, cleaning her feed tub, 110% healthy and kicking down the stall, she may get the green light.
But...doesn't she have to be supplemented for mucho dinero?
We'll probably find out for sure the day entries have to go in.
And that's probably the best move.

She does have an outside chance at Horse of the Year. A spectacular Distaff effort. A HOTY outsider like Mucho Macho Man or Ron The Greek winning the BC Classic. Game On Dude being left at the gate again. Wise Dan coming up short again. If the planets aligned correctly a case could be made.

She will not have to be supplemented since the Beldame is a "win and you're in".

So it costs them nothing to remain on the fence and creates a bit more drama.
-Bedouin Legend

pointgivenfan

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Man o Taz wrote: She will not have to be supplemented since the Beldame is a "win and you're in".
Yes, she will:
The Breeders’ Cup pays entry fees for the connections of the Challenge winners if they are nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program by October 21st.
http://www.breederscup.com/races/breeders-cup-challenge

More information here:

https://members.breederscup.com/challen ... ation.aspx
A horse that has not been nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program will not be eligible to receive payment of starting fees (the total of pre-entry and entry fees) for the Championship race or the travel allowance to the Championships until nominated. The owner of a non-nominated horse may receive payment of starting fees (the total of pre-entry and entry fees) and travel allowance if the horse is nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program to the applicable Championship race prior to pre-entry for the Championship race.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Northport

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot, but how much is it to be nominated/supplemented for the BC?
weeeeeeeee
pointgivenfan

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Northport wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot, but how much is it to be nominated/supplemented for the BC?
Eligibility
Sired by Nominated Stallion and Nominated before July 15th.
Two Year Olds
$12,000
Three Year Olds & Up (Nothern Hemisphere-bred)
$50,000
Three Year Olds & Up (Southern Hemisphere-bred)
$25,000

Sired by Nominated Stallion and Nominated after July 15th.
Two Year Olds
$100,000
$100,000
$100,000

Sired by NON Nominated Stallion and Nominated before July 15th.
Two Year Olds
$18,000
$100,000
$50,000

Sired by NON Nominated Stallion and Nominated after July 15th.
Two Year Olds
$200,000
$200,000
$200,000
https://members.breederscup.com/nominat ... ation.aspx
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Man o Taz

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:
Man o Taz wrote: She will not have to be supplemented since the Beldame is a "win and you're in".
Yes, she will:
The Breeders’ Cup pays entry fees for the connections of the Challenge winners if they are nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program by October 21st.
http://www.breederscup.com/races/breeders-cup-challenge

More information here:

https://members.breederscup.com/challen ... ation.aspx
A horse that has not been nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program will not be eligible to receive payment of starting fees (the total of pre-entry and entry fees) for the Championship race or the travel allowance to the Championships until nominated. The owner of a non-nominated horse may receive payment of starting fees (the total of pre-entry and entry fees) and travel allowance if the horse is nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program to the applicable Championship race prior to pre-entry for the Championship race.
Has October 21st passed yet?

The connections still have time to nominate for $90k her and have the entry fees paid.
-Bedouin Legend

Life At Zen

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Isn't it a $100k nomination fee?
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
BlindLucky

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Life At Zen wrote:Isn't it a $100k nomination fee?
Yeah, I guess they wanted to even the board and they stopped doing it as a percentage of the race's purse. It's a flat fee based on a few requirements, but $100k for most.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com