California Chrome

Re: California Chrome

Postby Treve » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:07 am

In all fairness on this board it is understood there is a difference between being a fan of Chrome and being a Chromie.
You can be a fan without being a Chromie. I didn't see anyone here automatically assume all fans of Chrome were Chromies or that all his fans were ignorant - the discussion is just specifically about those who are.
And there are a lot of them.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Retrospectiv » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 am

Clearly the crazies have driven Taylor Made to this...... :cry:

Dear Friends,
This is Duncan Taylor, President and CEO of Taylor Made Farm. I am one of the people who made the decision to send California Chrome to the southern hemisphere for breeding.
First of all, I thank you for your concern for Chrome. Sometimes we have an emotional love for the awesome animals that the Lord has blessed us with, that can be as great as a love as we have for our families.
I want you to know that I would never do anything to jeopardize Chrome's health and welfare. I want to take some time to address some of your concerns:
1) Concern: Chrome is going to Chile forever.
This is not true. He will be in Chile for the southern hemisphere breeding season which is approximately July 1st through December 15th. He will then return to Taylor Made Farm.
2) Concern: Why don't you send his semen instead of sending California Chrome?
The thoroughbred registry (The Jockey Club) rules state that in order to register (and race) a Thoroughbred they must be conceived with a live cover. Artificial insemination is not permitted.
3) Concern: California Chrome's owners are greedy.
If wanting to make a better return for your investors is considered greedy, we are guilty.
4) Concern: California Chrome will not have his normal grooms/people in Chile.
We are going to send our experienced team members with him to Chile to guarantee that California Chrome will receive the same Taylor Made treatment that he received to restore his health for a great 2016 racing campaign. Additionally, we hand-picked Haras Sumaya Stud because we were impressed by their exceptional horse care and facilities.
5) Concern: California Chrome will not like Chile.
If California Chrome is not doing well because of shuttling to Chile, we will simply stop shuttling him and he will return to Taylor Made Farm. We have that clause built into our contract.
6) Concern: Taylor Made does not have California Chrome's best interest in mind.
You can rest assured, California Chrome's best interest in foremost on our minds.
Thank you for your love of California Chrome. I hope you understand that he will be well taken care of at all times.
Best,
Duncan Taylor
President and CEO
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Postby TapitsGal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Reading the comments on facebook under the bloodhorse article about chrome shuttling, I thought most of the people who actually follow bloodhorse know at least something about or are involved in horses in some way....sheesh one lady "Had I known they were going to send Chrome to Chile for the summer I never would have signed a contract to send my mare to him"....seriously??? You're going to let something like a horse shipping dictate who you breed your mare to? I wouldn't even consider that as a factor when booking my mare... heaven forbid if Chrome were to turn out to be a dud in the USA and was bought by foreign connections to stand down there permanently
TapitsGal

Postby Delamont » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:54 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Reading the comments on facebook under the bloodhorse article about chrome shuttling, I thought most of the people who actually follow bloodhorse know at least something about or are involved in horses in some way....sheesh one lady "Had I known they were going to send Chrome to Chile for the summer I never would have signed a contract to send my mare to him"....seriously??? You're going to let something like a horse shipping dictate who you breed your mare to? I wouldn't even consider that as a factor when booking my mare... heaven forbid if Chrome were to turn out to be a dud in the USA and was bought by foreign connections to stand down there permanently

If that person was even remotely telling the truth....
Delamont

Postby stark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Really seems to be a case of OCD. Why the fascination in seeking out "crazy" "ignorant" "stupid" postings and re-posting them here?

Makes me kinda wonder who's who?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:49 pm

stark wrote:Really seems to be a case of OCD. Why the fascination in seeking out "crazy" "ignorant" "stupid" postings and re-posting them here?

Makes me kinda wonder who's who?

Stark, this is kind of my reaction too. I respect the people here because many are horse owners and I defer to their knowledge. So I think they are better than to focus so heavily on the "crazy, " "ignorant," and "stupid" examples of Chrome's fans.

Yes, some fans in any sport go overboard. "Fan," after all, is derived from "fanatic." The level of Chrome's popularity is quite stunning and yes, some of his fans tilt over to be fanatics. I think Mr. Taylor knows that and he handled the situation perfectly with his statement. I have been hoping with all my heart that Chrome turns out to be a successful stallion not only for the sake of his future, but because I think Taylor Made deserves to have their faith in him pay off.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Tessablue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Som's earlier comparison to aquariums was a very astute one. Willfully ignorant extremists cannot be allowed to take control of the sport's narrative, as they have in other arenas. While I don't think there is any immediate danger from them, I also see no reason to endorse or normalize behavior that actively harms the sport and could evolve into something worse. A few years back we were having a similar conversation on this forum about PETA supporters and PETA has literally terrorized people that I know, so I'm well aware of what happens when extremists latch onto something. I'm not certain that Taylor Made's choice to recognize them was the correct one.

That being said, I have seen none of that behavior here and nobody should feel ashamed for being a genuine fan of the horse. I think the difference is very clear to all of us.
Tessablue

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

I differentiate between 'aquariums' (like Monterey Bay's) and Sea World.
I believe the abuses by Sea World have been well-documented, and not merely by PETA.
The world has changed, and we no longer think it's OK to put lions and tigers in little steel cages, restrain calves in 'veal' crates, put laying hens in cages so small they can't turn around, or condone puppy mills with neglected dogs crammed into tiny wire cages.
Cetaceans are intelligent, social animals for whom the whole OCEAN is their natural habitat. Putting them in glorified concrete swimming pools is kind of like putting us in an 8X12 cell with no windows.
And then there's the drugging; the forced AI pregnancies, sometimes of females that are too young; the repeated pregnancies spaced too close for health; the forced separation of calves from their mothers, much earlier than they would have in the wild; and the entertainment-motivated tricks taught to make money for the parks.
The American Sea Worlds are supposed to stop the breeding and also stop having the orcas perform tricks but, everywhere else in the world, life for captured cetaceans is pretty awful. And even if Sea World stops perpetrating the breeding and circus shows, that still doesn't solve the issue of large, far-ranging, social animals locked into concrete pools far too small for them.
:evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Apparently Haras Sumaya Stud is building a replica of Chrome's paddock in Ky. Also Gemologist, Shanghai Bobby and Looking at Lucky are shuttling down with him to Chile on the same plane. I don't know if they will all be going to the same farm, however, but will attempt to find out.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Ziggypop » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:43 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I differentiate between 'aquariums' (like Monterey Bay's) and Sea World.
I believe the abuses by Sea World have been well-documented, and not merely by PETA.
The world has changed, and we no longer think it's OK to put lions and tigers in little steel cages, restrain calves in 'veal' crates, put laying hens in cages so small they can't turn around, or condone puppy mills with neglected dogs crammed into tiny wire cages.
Cetaceans are intelligent, social animals for whom the whole OCEAN is their natural habitat. Putting them in glorified concrete swimming pools is kind of like putting us in an 8X12 cell with no windows.
And then there's the drugging; the forced AI pregnancies, sometimes of females that are too young; the repeated pregnancies spaced too close for health; the forced separation of calves from their mothers, much earlier than they would have in the wild; and the entertainment-motivated tricks taught to make money for the parks.
The American Sea Worlds are supposed to stop the breeding and also stop having the orcas perform tricks but, everywhere else in the world, life for captured cetaceans is pretty awful. And even if Sea World stops perpetrating the breeding and circus shows, that still doesn't solve the issue of large, far-ranging, social animals locked into concrete pools far too small for them.
:evil:

Thank you for this post.
Ziggypop

PreviousNext

Return to Racing