California Chrome

Re: California Chrome

Postby Treve » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm with Som. If you cannot be bothered after 4 years (3, if we consider most Chromies jumped on the bandwagon during his 3yo campaign) to do a tiny bit of research, and if you refuse to listen or hear to what people who are politely and kindly reaching out to teach you have to say, then you're willfully ignorant and it's almost like you want to be outraged for the sake of raging. Half of them don't read the articles, just comment on the headline, those who do read the articles turn it into some conspiracy.
And while I try not to be mean, the ignorance does sometimes seem to blend with the crazy, but perhaps that's just an utter lack of common sense, when they begin to anthropomorphize or begin to act like they have a share in the horse.

Not sure what WG's academic level has to do with this. You don't have to go to school to educate yourself on a given topic or have at least a working knowledge of any given subject. Ignorance is only an excuse if that person shows a readiness to learn. I do sometimes try to reach out and give them information (and not in a condescending tone) but they're not all receptive to it and it's a shame.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm not an expert in racing or horses. I physically cannot handle riding. I'm not around horses ever. I work in personal insurance. I've just been following racing a long time.

And yes, these people are certifiable.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Ignorance is not a sin and can be cured. Willful ignorance is contemptible in all contexts.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Tessablue wrote:Ignorance is not a sin and can be cured. Willful ignorance is contemptible in all contexts.

Amen. And they have a platform on social media. It unfortunately gives them strength.

Racing better be careful. SeaWorld was shut down by a bunch of internet experts spewing their ignorance. Seeing that Chrome has insane internet fans can't bode well.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Personal Ensign » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 pm

I was reading thru some of them last night (I needed a laugh) and I came across this one: "We should start a petition" :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :o I just shook my head and said to myself "Good Grief, Give me a Break people!!!"
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Personal Ensign

Postby canvasjockey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:02 pm

It's not that they aren't educated about racing that's the problem, it's that they form inflexible, emotion (as opposed to knowledge and experience) based opinions and have no willingness to listen to even gentle reason, logic or actual information from someone in the know.

This is a recent post from another Chrome group... still can decide if this group is better or worse...
Even The Late Great BARBARO Knows What Makes A True CHAMPION Greater Than Great... His Comment On Our Beloved CALIFORNIA CHROME: "Flawless"

Invoking Barbaro in a discussion about Chrome... that's a whole 'nother level!
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
canvasjockey

Postby Northport » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Some poor soul has been posting well thought out, educational, and polite responses to the Chromies on Bring Chrome Home, and one person literally said that they understand that even though shuttling is safe, Chrome is unlike any other horse and therefore shouldn't do it.

Another used the comparison to the shipping woes in "International Velvet" (maybe an unpopular sequel to National Velvet) and said that even though it is fiction - and takes place in 1944 - horses travelling/flying is unsafe.

I know I shouldn't be going to read those comments anyway, but sometimes they are just too wild.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby barbaro111 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Ignorance is not a sin and can be cured. Willful ignorance is contemptible in all contexts.

Amen. And they have a platform on social media. It unfortunately gives them strength.

Racing better be careful. SeaWorld was shut down by a bunch of internet experts spewing their ignorance. Seeing that Chrome has insane internet fans can't bode well.

I agree abour SeaWorld--what a shame
barbaro111

Postby BlindLucky » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Northport wrote:Another used the comparison to the shipping woes in "International Velvet" (maybe an unpopular sequel to National Velvet) and said that even though it is fiction - and takes place in 1944 - horses travelling/flying is unsafe.

International Velvet was filmed in the 70s, and that scene they're talking about is where Arizona Pie (yes, I know the movie by heart, I watched it a bazillion times in the 80s haha) and the eventing team is on a plane, one of the other horses freaks out, and they shoot it in the head on a trans-Atlantic flight. So... they're basing dangerous air travel on a cheesy movie from 40 yrs ago.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 pm

As I type this, the Bloodhorse.com article about shuttling plans for Chrome has 738 comments, not all opposed to the shuttling. A couple of weeks ago, the newest video of Chrome playing in his paddock drew about 2 million views. He is an incredibly popular horse and interest in him remains high.

So all I was hoping with my post here this morning is that folks would not paint with a broad brush. Not all of the people who are fans of Chrome are of the foolish nature described here. For one single example, the head of the U.S. Polo team visited Chrome at Gulfstream before the Pegasus. He is a big fan. He also prefers to buy OTTB's to retrain as his polo ponies. So who knows. Perhaps he'll buy Chrome offspring at some point down the road.

I'm a tremendous Chrome fan and yet do understand that the economics of the industry drive stallion shuttling. I know Chrome will be given the very best of care where he's going. Yet that doesn't stop me from wishing he could stay at TM for the rest of his life. My earliest racing memories go back to 1960. I know the business of this industry, and it's incredible highs and lows. So I also know that wishes seldom come true, particularly in the horse business.
Ridan_Remembered

PreviousNext

Return to Racing