California Chrome

California Chrome

Postby Extragear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:50 pm

We have a derby favorite. What a horse. Triple Crown contender.
Extragear

Re: California Chrome

Postby EquineAnne » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Extragear wrote:We have a derby favorite. What a horse. Triple Crown contender.

oh Christ, don't jinx the poor guy! TC, already? :?
EquineAnne

Postby Extragear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:59 pm

EquineAnne wrote:

Did not say he would win, just said contender. He is not some 3 race horse going into Derby. Plenty of foundation.
Extragear

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:01 pm

I like what that connection said during the broadcast when asked if he has the best 3yo in the country right now (Chrome): "when you start to get cocky, life kicks you in the teeth." Let's just hope he gets to the Derby in one piece!
CoronadosQuest

Postby Citation » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:04 am

Extragear wrote:
EquineAnne wrote:

Did not say he would win, just said contender. He is not some 3 race horse going into Derby. Plenty of foundation.

For the love of all that is holy, please don't jinx this horse.
Citation

Postby Spahny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 am

Bill Dwyer of the LA Times.

I'm sure there will be more like this coming.

The PETA video story will rise again Derby week. The story of this fine animal and his connections are a better counter point then I every would have dreamed of. Fairy tale stuff.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-san ... z2y6iLzAjf
Spahny

Postby Ballerina » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:23 am

It appears that we're somewhat united in our bated breath hopes for this horse. He does make the heart quicken - a chestnut with a white blaze. No jinxing - just a wish - please, the powers that be, let him get to the Derby starting gate sound and even more improved after his jaw dropping victory yesterday.

Amen.
Ballerina

Postby firehorse » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20 am

USA Today article about him before yesterdays race:

Two weeks before California Chrome was born, co-owner Steve Coburn had a dream about the pending foal out of his mare Love the Chase.

"I told my wife, 'It's going to be a colt. He's going to be flashy with four white stocking feet and a big bald face,' and his baby pictures look just like that," Coburn said. "I told them he was going to be something special."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ho ... n/7315215/

firehorse

Postby HardSpun32 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:48 am

Its kind of mind boggling how much hype there is for a horse that is way over-rated. Let's state just how little he has beaten.

In both his graded stakes wins against open company the last two races, he raced against a total of 13 horses. Ten of those were maidens or just maiden winners.

No wonder why he crushed the field yesterday. Its deceiving. Who has he beaten? Hopportunity was the only horse he beat that is quality. And that one mainly ran to get a workout and will beat him in the Derby. I'm so glad he won by daylight yesterday. It will provide greater value for others that are better horses. I will not use him on any of my tickets for the derby.

Santa Anita is another, just like Gulfstream, with a huge speed bias. No horses can close.
HardSpun32

Postby Extragear » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:07 pm

HardSpun32 wrote:Its kind of mind boggling how much hype there is for a horse that is way over-rated. Let's state just how little he has beaten.

In both his graded stakes wins against open company the last two races, he raced against a total of 13 horses. Ten of those were maidens or just maiden winners.

No wonder why he crushed the field yesterday. Its deceiving. Who has he beaten? Hopportunity was the only horse he beat that is quality. And that one mainly ran to get a workout and will beat him in the Derby. I'm so glad he won by daylight yesterday. It will provide greater value for others that are better horses. I will not use him on any of my tickets for the derby.

Santa Anita is another, just like Gulfstream, with a huge speed bias. No horses can close.

Plenty of faults with your post. First, his CONSISTENT thorograph numbers say he is a freak. These are not beyers which are all over the place, but thorographs. Second, Hoppertunity came east and won a stake and was no match for him. He is beating very good horses easily. Third, he has a foundation. This is not a horse that is just good at the right time. He has been good for months.

I think his biggest threat will be Social Inclusion and Constitution in the Preakness. He seems to good to lose the Derby and probably will be 8-5.
Extragear

Next

Return to Racing