Ben's Cat

Re: Ben's Cat

Postby Kurenai » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am

That's just horrible. For his racing team and for his new owners. Both parties probably will do a lot of second guessing. But it's nobody's fault really. I feel so very sad for them.

I don't know... over the few years I've known quite a few ex race horses that did not transition well into their second career and died from colic (yes they were sound and vet checked). I am myself sometimes wondering if the sudden lack of activity/training plus the combination of new surroundings/feed etc might cause this in some horses. Colics can happen any time of course, but from my personal experience it seems that the rate is much higher during the transition phase in thoroughbreds. The first 3 to 6 months were always crucial, afterwards it didn't happen more often than in other horses.
Kurenai

Postby Ballerina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 am

Video from last year of King Trying to give an interview with Ben interrupting - just like a little kid.

https://www.facebook.com/WatchXBTV/vide ... 706790050/
Ballerina

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Another BH article about the great Ben's Cat.

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... n-bens-cat

This has been tough on alot of people, but I feel so bad for Mr. Leatherbury. I'm bettting it was a long night...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Ballerina wrote:Video from last year of King Trying to give an interview with Ben interrupting - just like a little kid.

https://www.facebook.com/WatchXBTV/vide ... 706790050/

That video was sweet, with Ben "grooming" King...and, of course, trying for another treat.

We can't know what causes things like what happened to Ben, but it's certainly fair to wonder if taking him away from the life and people he knew for so many years might have caused undue stress.

Several people here have the opinion that bringing aged stallions back from overseas might not be in the best interest of the horses. I have come to appreciate that perspective and find myself more in agreement with it that previously. Although the situations are not identical, there are parallels to such situations as what happened to Charismatic and what happened with Ben. :cry:
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Point Given » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Point Given

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

This informative article addresses the idea that Ben's Cat's problems may have been caused by the changes in his environment.

Veterinarian: Ben’s Cat Colic A Complex Condition, Unrelated To Retirement
Readers reacted with shock and disappointment at Tuesday's news of the death of Ben's Cat, four-time Maryland Horse of the Year and fan favorite, from complications related to colic. The gelding had undergone surgery July 6 for an epiploic foramen entrapment, a complicated condition with high risk of complications.
Although the timing of his colic was especially frustrating, coming soon after his retirement earlier this year, veterinarian Dr. Rana Bozorgmanesh, who treated the multimillionaire at Haygard Equine Medical Institute in Kentucky, said the two events are not related.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... etirement/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Squally » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This informative article addresses the idea that Ben's Cat's problems may have been caused by the changes in his environment.

Veterinarian: Ben’s Cat Colic A Complex Condition, Unrelated To Retirement
Readers reacted with shock and disappointment at Tuesday's news of the death of Ben's Cat, four-time Maryland Horse of the Year and fan favorite, from complications related to colic. The gelding had undergone surgery July 6 for an epiploic foramen entrapment, a complicated condition with high risk of complications.
Although the timing of his colic was especially frustrating, coming soon after his retirement earlier this year, veterinarian Dr. Rana Bozorgmanesh, who treated the multimillionaire at Haygard Equine Medical Institute in Kentucky, said the two events are not related.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... etirement/

Thanks for posting that. Very informative and interesting.
Squally

Postby lurkey mclurker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Just rotten, horrible luck. So unfair. :cry:
lurkey mclurker

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:40 pm

Laurel Park To Host Tribute To Ben’s Cat Nov. 11
King Leatherbury and Ben's Cat
A tribute to late Mid-Atlantic legend Ben's Cat will go on as planned Nov. 11 at Laurel Park and include a bobblehead giveaway in the likeness of the 26-time stakes winner and four-time Maryland Horse of the Year bred, owned and trained by Hall of Fame horseman King Leatherbury.

Maryland Jockey Club officials originally set aside the date as a ceremony to honor Ben's Cat on his retirement at age 11 just days after he ran ninth in the Mister Diz June 24 at Laurel. Ben's Cat was sent to the Kentucky farm of Bayne and Christina Welker June 28 but developed colic and underwent surgery July 6. He was euthanized July 18 due to post-surgical complications.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/laurel-park-host-tribute-bens-cat-nov-11/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Ben's Cat to be Buried at Laurel Park
The connections of four-time Maryland Horse of the Year and multi-million-dollar earner Ben's Cat, who succumbed to complications from colic surgery soon after retiring from racing earlier this summer, announced July 31 that he will be returned to Maryland and buried at Laurel Park.

"King Leatherbury asked if we would bury Ben's ashes at Laurel, since that is where he spent most of his life," said Georganne Hale, Vice President of Racing for the Maryland Jockey Club. "Ben's ashes will be laid to rest next to the historic Laurel paddock, which will allow fans the opportunity to visit his plot."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/222834/bens-cat-to-be-buried-at-laurel-park
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing