Ben's Cat

Re: Ben's Cat

Postby Ballerina » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:17 pm

The equine Gods can be so greedy. They do not need him. We did.

Irving Townsend from The Once Again Prince

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we would still live no other way.

We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, yet never fully
understanding the necessary plan.
Ballerina

Postby bare it all » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Well fuck. It was supposed to be a slow Tuesday.
bare it all

Postby barbaro111 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:53 pm

I had hoped he could overcome the odds, like Paynter , I so wanted him to enjoy just being a horse, nibbling the grass, and being loved on--this is so unfair, it really is---rest in peace beautiful Ben
barbaro111

Postby Catalina » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 pm

RIP, Old Warrior. I wish you could have lived long enough to enjoy more than a few days of your retirement.
Catalina

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

This happened with the rescue horse I had. I was out for the afternoon feeding and all 3 horses were having fun, cantering and trotting around a few loops of the paddock then up to the feed tubs. Two approached theirs, and the rescue horse went passed his, dropped, and rolled. Odd time for that, i thought. About 5 seconds later I knew something was wrong, that he was collicking. Are you freaking kidding me? One second just fine, the next you're down and rolling?

Even though it ultimately took probably 3 or more hours to get him from the time he dropped to the surgery table (of course it happened around 6:00pm on a Friday night), It was immensely fortuitous that he dropped right in front of me. Had it been hours before he was discovered, then the situation would've been more dire. As it was, they only had to pull the pinched intestine out and none had to be removed.

The new owners are wonderful and highly reputable people, and I'm so sorry they went from such excitement to such a low. Of course, I'm sorry for his connections who he brought such joy and who they ensured had a good home. Finally, I know he had a lot of fans who followed him very closely, and they feel a personal loss as well.

Such a sad story. It's reminiscent of Lost in the Fog, who likewise seemed to have such an unfair ending.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Life At Zen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Two horses that make me sick to think about, simply due to their unfair fates - Lost In The Fog and Star Over The Bay.
Still makes my stomach turn.

RIP Ben's Cat. How awful he was only able to enjoy retirement for a month. My thoughts are with his connections, current and former.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby Prairie Bayou » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I am beyond heartbroken. I've seen almost every race he's run in the past seven years. Being a native Marylander, he was the epitome of a hard knocking gelding who may not be in a bunch of grade ones but dominated where he was best. Dirt, mud, grass it didn't matter. He tried everything and won on it. To us if asked he would run on water and find a way to get to the wire first. He even raced the wind and beat it. There were times he blew the field away and times he gave his fans heart failure to win by a whisker. He never threw in the towel. Even in his last two years when the bones were a bit more achy and the competition younger he tried harder than everyone else. I was there for his final win and the crowd gave him an ovation even Caesar could not muster. I was there when he ran his last race and the gleam and pride poured off of him. Still in defeat the crowd applauded. He didn't ask it of them but they gave it. We all did. He earned it. Just as he earned a retirement under the beautiful blue skies and lush green grass of Kentucky. He saw paradise on earth for horses and now he will see paradise alongside those we have lost. Somewhere out there he's still racing the wind and winning.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby Miss Woodford » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Damn. Such a cruel twist of fate that Ben's Cat won't get to enjoy what should be the prime of his life. King loved that horse so much, it was his last "big" horse, has to be devastating for him.
Miss Woodford

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Somewhere out there he's still racing the wind and winning.

I want to believe that. I really do. Sigh. Too many times in my 70+ years, I've seen good ones go way before their time. Racing is a trail of broken hearts, but we know the pain because we also know the highs...the good times and wonderful horses.

I don't even want to say RIP Ben, because we should be enjoying pictures of him running with his new pasture mate. Because my heart can't find peace when there is such heartache.

So yes, I hope there is such a place where their spirits still exist and they run free, happy, without pain.

My sincere condolences to his immediate team and all who loved him.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby stark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Maybe, just maybe, it's what is commonly referred to as a blessing in disguise, and is actually what was best for the horse in the big picture of life. King-L obviously knew that he thrived on racing, that's where he was happiest. Retirement is a funny thing, at least with people, some workaholics never adjust well and while others want them to enjoy retirement, it just isn't in the cards, I'm assuming it can be similar in horses, or at least that's the way I choose to believe it.

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing