Breeders’ Cup News & Notes- 2018

stark

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Bill Mott is just full of surprises this weekend.

On Saturday, Mott was surprisingly vocal after the stewards did not disqualify Abel Tasman from first and bumping with the Mott-trained Elate in the Grade 1 Personal Ensign at Saratoga.

On Sunday, when I asked if he would look forward to a rematch with Abel Tasman in the Breeders' Cup, Mott said, "they may have to put her in the Classic to meet us." The Breeders' Cup Classic, run at 1 1-4 miles, will be run on Nov. 3 at Churchill Downs as will the $2 million Distaff at 1 1-8 miles.

Mott said he is strongly considering pointing Elate to the Classic, where she would meet some of the top older males and 3-year-old males in training. The 1 1-4-mile distance is attractive to Mott for Elate, who at 3 won the Grade 1 Alabama and last month won the Grade 2 Delaware Handicap, both at 1 1-4 miles.

Beyond just the distance, Mott said, "I just think she’s that good. In all due respect to all our other competition -- I'm not taking anything away from anybody -- I just believe in our horse. Not trying to be cocky or arrogant, I think we’re going to take it under serious consideration."
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/44729-elate ... up-classic
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:51 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm
Bill Mott is just full of surprises this weekend.

On Saturday, Mott was surprisingly vocal after the stewards did not disqualify Abel Tasman from first and bumping with the Mott-trained Elate in the Grade 1 Personal Ensign at Saratoga.

On Sunday, when I asked if he would look forward to a rematch with Abel Tasman in the Breeders' Cup, Mott said, "they may have to put her in the Classic to meet us." The Breeders' Cup Classic, run at 1 1-4 miles, will be run on Nov. 3 at Churchill Downs as will the $2 million Distaff at 1 1-8 miles.

Mott said he is strongly considering pointing Elate to the Classic, where she would meet some of the top older males and 3-year-old males in training. The 1 1-4-mile distance is attractive to Mott for Elate, who at 3 won the Grade 1 Alabama and last month won the Grade 2 Delaware Handicap, both at 1 1-4 miles.

Beyond just the distance, Mott said, "I just think she’s that good. In all due respect to all our other competition -- I'm not taking anything away from anybody -- I just believe in our horse. Not trying to be cocky or arrogant, I think we’re going to take it under serious consideration."
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/44729-elate ... up-classic

Curiouser and curiouser.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Starine

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 pm

One thing that's kind of interesting is where Catholic Boy will show up for his final Classic prep. I kind of expected him to run next in something like the Pennsylvania Derby (gr. I) but the Paulick Report states he will likely move back to turf for the Hill Prince (gr. IIT) at Belmont.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Well, this is interesting. And kind of surprising. :shock:

Breeders' Cup Classic bid an option for Roaring Lion, John Gosden reveals
The Breeders' Cup Classic, run on dirt at Churchill Downs on November 3, is an option for Roaring Lion, trainer John Gosden revealed on Sunday.
"If he went to the Breeders' Cup, it could be the mile and a half on turf or we could look at the Classic on dirt. He's a mile-and-a-quarter horse so you'd consider the Classic as well as the turf."

Read more: https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... als/346968

I know nothing is certain, since Gosden still has to see whether the colt runs in the Champions Stakes and, if he does, how well he bounces back from the Ascot race.
One wouldn't normally think of the Classic on dirt for a Kitten's Joy horse, but RL's dam side teases the potential. He's out of Vionnet (Street Sense x Cambiocorsa). Vionnet and Cambiocorsa were both grass runners, but Street Sense certainly did OK on dirt. :P ;)
Roaring Lion is a big, strong colt, and he could be the type who can run on almost anything.
Mylute

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:28 pm

I swear if all these good horses actually show up this could be the best field we've seen in a while for the Classic.

Not that the fields have been trash of course, it'd just be the best.

As far as Kitten's Joy goes, I'm hoping Hill 'N Dale tries him out with some higher quality dirt mares to see what would happen. He is a son of El Prado, the same as Medaglia d'Oro, who we know throws dirt and turf horses. And he's had stakes winners on dirt before, like Csaba. Now would be the time to do it, since Kitten has established himself as an international sire.
katmandu

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Starine wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 pm
One thing that's kind of interesting is where Catholic Boy will show up for his final Classic prep. I kind of expected him to run next in something like the Pennsylvania Derby (gr. I) but the Paulick Report states he will likely move back to turf for the Hill Prince (gr. IIT) at Belmont.
I'm not entirely convinced Catholic Boy can add the BCC to his CV, but, damn he looks good. I love this horse's "type" and how happily he runs, even in the afternoon.

https://www.xbtv.com/video/belmont-park ... 23rd-2018/
Treve

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:00 pm

It's worth noting Churchill is a surface usually kind to horses with Turf form... so it could get very interesting indeed with decent weather. I am very much looking forward to the Breeders' Cup.
Now I suppose though we are all very focused on the Classic but if a lot of Turf horses are aiming at the Classic... what's the field for the Turf shaping up like?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Mylute

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Treve wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:00 pm
It's worth noting Churchill is a surface usually kind to horses with Turf form... so it could get very interesting indeed with decent weather. I am very much looking forward to the Breeders' Cup.
Now I suppose though we are all very focused on the Classic but if a lot of Turf horses are aiming at the Classic... what's the field for the Turf shaping up like?
Well according to HRN, which isn’t the most reliable thing but at the same time isn’t too far off the mark, these horses are possibles/probables for the Turf.

Robert Bruce
Glorious Empire
Channel Maker
Fashion Business
Cliffs of Moher
Latrobe
Cloth of Stars
Rostropovich
Crystal Ocean
Roaring Lion
Study of Man
Hunting Horn

Not a lot of American horses listed at the time but that’ll probably change. Wonder if Canada will bring Johnny Bear.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 pm

With the BC just around the corner, I was not happy to see this on DRF:
Four racing fatalities in one week at Churchill
By Matt Hegarty
Four horses suffered fatal racing injuries over the previous week of racing at Churchill Downs in Louisville, state racing regulators confirmed on Tuesday, a statistical abnormality that has led regulators to closely examine the cases as the Breeders’ Cup event at Churchill approaches.
:(
:? I don't know if there's more information than that, since I don't have an account.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:14 pm

If you sign up (free) with DRF, you get something like 10 free articles a month. The article names the horses.

Four racing fatalities in one week at Churchill
...The breakdowns occurred one each on the four days of racing held Sept. 20-23. The bodies of all four horses are currently being necropsied, according to state racing regulators, who are attempting to find evidence for any common causes or factors that could be countered.

“We’re looking at everything,” said Dr. Mary Scollay, the equine medical director of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, on Tuesday morning. “It is clearly an unacceptable rate of occurrence. We’re accumulating evidence right now and looking at it very hard.”

The causes of fatal injuries are multi-variant, and it is difficult, especially in the earliest stages of an investigation, to determine if there is a common element to the breakdowns. Scollay said that racing regulators continue to conduct aggressive pre-race examinations, and that Dr. Mick Peterson, a professor at the University of Kentucky who is an expert on racing surfaces, has surveyed the Churchill Downs racetrack.
Kentucky’s racing commission has been one of the national leaders in embracing measures intended to identify at-risk horses prior to racing, and the state’s racetracks generally outperform other U.S. racetracks in long-term fatality rates of horses. Still, racetracks across the U.S. can experience spates of fatal injuries that defy long-term rates, which can lead horsemen, regulators, and the public to grasp for answers in an area in which there are seldom clear-cut explanations.

The four horses that suffered fatal injuries were Ricochet Bay, a 3-year-old maiden trained by Steve Assmussen who broke down on Sept. 20; Conquest Hiosilver, a 6-year-old lifetime winner of six races trained by Tom Amoss, who broke down on Sept. 21; Medlin, a 3-year-old winner trained by Aaron Shorter (Sept. 22); and Lilt, a 4-year-old trained by Brendan Walsh who has finished in the money six times from 10 lifetime starts (Sept. 23).

All four broke down in dirt races. The track was listed as fast for the races in which the first three horses broke down, and sloppy (sealed) for the fourth breakdown.

While the condition of a racing surface is always a popular target for criticism in the wake of breakdowns, research on fatal injuries have shown that they occur for a wide variety of reasons, including pre-existing microscopic bone fractures that are sometimes difficult to detect.

Walsh, the trainer of Lilt, said that he did not have an explanation for the breakdown of the filly, who broke a sesamoid bone, one of the most critical stress-bearing structures in a horse.

“Who knows?” Walsh said. “It’s very hard to assess stuff like this. Unfortunately these things happen, and they happen everywhere.”
More: https://www.drf.com/news/four-racing-fa ... nable=true
stark

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Izvestia

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Mylute wrote:

Well according to HRN, which isn’t the most reliable thing but at the same time isn’t too far off the mark, these horses are possibles/probables for the Turf.

Robert Bruce
Glorious Empire
Channel Maker
Fashion Business
Cliffs of Moher
Latrobe
Cloth of Stars
Rostropovich
Crystal Ocean
Roaring Lion
Study of Man
Hunting Horn

Not a lot of American horses listed at the time but that’ll probably change. Wonder if Canada will bring Johnny Bear.
I would like to point out that Channel Maker is a Canadian-bred competing in the US.
Mylute

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:44 pm
Mylute wrote:

Robert Bruce
Glorious Empire
Channel Maker
Fashion Business
Cliffs of Moher
Latrobe
Cloth of Stars
Rostropovich
Crystal Ocean
Roaring Lion
Study of Man
Hunting Horn

I would like to point out that Channel Maker is a Canadian-bred competing in the US.
Oh yeah. I get him and Channel Cat confused a lot.
stark

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:13 am

No Breeders' Cup for Elate or Hofburg; both scheduled to run in 2019

The multiple Grade 1 winner Elate will miss the Breeders’ Cup due to a splint bone issue that has been slow to heal, trainer Bill Mott said Saturday morning. Elate, second to Abel Tasman in the Grade 1 Personal Ensign at Saratoga on Aug. 25, was being considered for either the Distaff or the Classic.

Also, Hofburg, fourth in the Pennsylvania Derby, will not be considered for the Breeders’ Cup Classic, Mott said.

Both horses are expected to run in 2019, Mott said.

More later on drf.com
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:01 pm

I think Elate will be an excellent older mare. Until her injury, she had been very good this year.
Hofburg, however, will need to develop in some positive ways over the winter. His latest runs have been a bit disappointing. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Santa Anita: Fashion Business to scratch from John Henry, out of BC Turf
Fashion Business, the winner of the Grade 2 Del Mar Handicap on Aug. 18, will be withdrawn from Sunday's Grade 2 John Henry Turf Championship and the Breeders' Cup Turf at Churchill Downs on Nov. 3 after a minor injury was detected this weekend, trainer Phil D'Amato and Gary Fenton of the Little Red Feather partnership said on Saturday.
Fashion Business was the morning-line favorite for the $200,000 John Henry Turf Championship, D'Amato and Fenton declined to describe the injury.
"We're going to scratch tomorrow and we're out of the Breeders' Cup," said Gary Fenton.

Read more: https://www.drf.com/race-entries/articl ... 09-29-2018
Treve

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:59 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:01 pm
I think Elate will be an excellent older mare. Until her injury, she had been very good this year.
Hofburg, however, will need to develop in some positive ways over the winter. His latest runs have been a bit disappointing. :oops:
Disappointing how? His last start was a 4th place in the PA Derby, while his previous start he won the Curlin stakes, and that was coming back from a 3rd place finish in the Belmont. In his defence he only has 6 lifetime starts and his only off the board finish was in the Ky Derby.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Fairyland and Just Wonderful possible to make the trip for the Breeders’ Cup
https://www.racinguk.com/news/aidan-o-b ... n-new-york
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Cairo Cat is out of the Breeders’ Cup, per the connections he’s going through some minor “normal” 2yo growth issues and will be back for a 3yo season.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:40 am

Current Classic list from DRF-Privman with last three BSF and morning line odds.

Accelerate John Sadler 100-115-111 7-2
West Coast Bob Baffert 96-NA-117 5-1
Catholic Boy Jonathan Thomas 104-99-96 8-1
McKinzie Bob Baffert 107-101-98 8-1
Mind Your Biscuits Chad Summers 108-104-109 8-1
Mendelssohn Aidan O'Brien 100-99-90 10-1
Thunder Snow Saeed bin Suroor 103-NA-NA 10-1
Diversify Rick Violette 96-110-110 12-1
Yoshida Bill Mott 102-96-NA 15-1
Pavel Doug O'Neill 98-101-97 20-1

All other BC races have tabs you can click on at this link....

https://www.drf.com/events/breeders-cup-classic