2018 Preakness Stakes

Re: 2018 Preakness Stakes

Postby Somnambulist » Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here. What an absolute snoozer of race this would be otherwise.

This field has really suffered in recent years.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby stark » Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am

Somnambulist wrote:Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here. What an absolute snoozer of race this would be otherwise.

I was thinking from a betting perspective, Good Magic has to be the toss in here. $30 worth of trifectas keying Justify on top of everybody else for me.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Tessablue » Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am

Somnambulist wrote:Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here. What an absolute snoozer of race this would be otherwise.

Absolutely. I want to send those connections a fruit basket. I guess it makes sense that the Preakness would suffer as the Belmont strengthens, and the TC as a whole is more difficult and competitive than it used to be, but this field would be dire without Good Magic in there.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 am

I am not betting this race so my opinion is probably not worth much, but even if I was I find this race inherently un-bettable unless you are using the race in a sequence. Outside of Good Magic and Justify there is nothing here that looks fast enough to move forward, unless those two regress a considerable amount.

But at 5/2 or whatever GM is morning .. yuck.

For a $1.5M (I think) Classic you think there would be some level of competitiveness, but I think that Derby race was a hard race so I guess they don't want to run back. There isn't much waiting in the shadows either.
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

I think it's playable if you key the top two and go heavy on the supers, but it's not very appealing, the track will be a mess, and both of them have some question marks. I'm honestly surprised the foot bruise angle hasn't caused much fervor, but I suppose that's a Baffert benefit.

The Belmont looks like it'll be good, especially if Audible actually runs, and I don't think Justify will have it easy even if he walks here. That race has definitely improved in quality over the past decade or so, just wish the general Belmont day experience had improved along with it...
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

Tessablue wrote:The Belmont looks like it'll be good, especially if Audible actually runs, and I don't think Justify will have it easy even if he walks here. That race has definitely improved in quality over the past decade or so, just wish the general Belmont day experience had improved along with it...

I agree. :( Did you get the survey NYRA sent out on Monday regarding the Belmont and reno?

My boyfriend took the day off and is basically imploring us to go. We paid $95 for the upper grandstand last year and could literally see or hear nothing... we got lucky it was a non-TC year and had a lot of mobility. The food/beer prices don't kill me because whatever, I live in this money-pit state anyway but the drunk people are just horrible.

This is just a big money year for us already so I don't know if I can swing the $350 seats for the weekend but it is literally not worth attending without spending that much. I am having such anxiety over whether or not to get tickets I'm having dreams about it.
Somnambulist

Postby MySaladDays » Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am

eh, these are 3 year olds. Not 4 year olds. ANYTHING can happen.
MySaladDays

Postby bare it all » Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:The Belmont looks like it'll be good, especially if Audible actually runs, and I don't think Justify will have it easy even if he walks here. That race has definitely improved in quality over the past decade or so, just wish the general Belmont day experience had improved along with it...

I agree. :( Did you get the survey NYRA sent out on Monday regarding the Belmont and reno?

My boyfriend took the day off and is basically imploring us to go. We paid $95 for the upper grandstand last year and could literally see or hear nothing... we got lucky it was a non-TC year and had a lot of mobility. The food/beer prices don't kill me because whatever, I live in this money-pit state anyway but the drunk people are just horrible.

This is just a big money year for us already so I don't know if I can swing the $350 seats for the weekend but it is literally not worth attending without spending that much. I am having such anxiety over whether or not to get tickets I'm having dreams about it.

Its your money and time and life... but I would implore you to go. Money is money and its hard to come by but there can always be more money made, but the experience?? You cannot buy an experience and if you're "unsure"... just do it. Regardless of the who/what - if there is a TC on the line after Saturday night, you'll be bummed you didn't buy those tickets. Regardless of who/what, Belmont with a TC on the line is like nothing else and I hope to one day attend such an event. Small kids and a husband make my life more difficult, but you have all the freedom and youth on your side. DO IT SOM :)
bare it all

Postby Tessablue » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Aww man, that sucks Som. Remember when tickets were $65 with free parking? Last year I paid $100 plus $40 parking to sit behind a giant NYRA Bets tent. Couldn't see the track at all, but we got a great view of the singer or whoever when they performed for three minutes before the race. So if you do end up going, avoid section W at all costs. It's weird because the quality of racing on the day is massively improved and there are actual food options, but the crowd is awful and it just isn't as fun anymore. I didn't get the survey- what was it about?

Just caught up on some videos of Justify galloping. This is definitely not a betting race.
Tessablue

Postby MySaladDays » Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here..

But Tom Amoss doesn't?
MySaladDays

PreviousNext

Return to Racing