3yos of 2018

thinair

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Check out Proven Reserves, a firster that won the 3rd at Aqueduct today ( Friday ). Won his debut at one mile by 6 1/4 lengths in 1:35.80, only 0.33 slower than a Stakes quality 8th race.
katmandu

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:08 pm

thinair wrote:Check out Proven Reserves, a firster that won the 3rd at Aqueduct today ( Friday ). Won his debut at one mile by 6 1/4 lengths in 1:35.80, only 0.33 slower than a Stakes quality 8th race.
I found the race elsewhere, for whatever reason NYRA omitted it (showed race#1 instead). Nice debut.
Squeaky

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Can you post link? Thanks!
Squeaky

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Gidu(IRE) continues to work well at Palm Beach Downs for Pletcher and Zayat- 4 fur in 0:48 ( 1/15). Wonder where he will run next? Gray colt is by Frankel x UBS mare.
thinair

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 pm

katmandu wrote:
thinair wrote:Check out Proven Reserves, a firster that won the 3rd at Aqueduct today ( Friday ). Won his debut at one mile by 6 1/4 lengths in 1:35.80, only 0.33 slower than a Stakes quality 8th race.
I found the race elsewhere, for whatever reason NYRA omitted it (showed race#1 instead). Nice debut.
Yeah, I saw that last night. I need to see if we can get that fixed. Thanks for the reminder.
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Someone please tell me I'm not the only person actively rooting for Justify to not win.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Squeaky

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Why not?
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:59 pm

OK.
I'm rooting for a different Scat Daddy to win; Mendelssohn.
He might not break 'The Curse of Apollo,' but he would break the 'Can't Prep Outside the US & Win the Derby Curse.' :P :lol:
thinair

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Someone please tell me I'm not the only person actively rooting for Justify to not win.

I think he's a really good horse ( not that you don't ) but find the smugness of some people talking about this horse to be a bit much, so I'm not exactly rooting for him either. It can get really old being told you can't recognize talent if you don't fawn at the altar of certain horses. Can we at least wait six months before we decide his place in the pantheon of supposed greatness?
Northport

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:19 pm

I don't mind the horse, or Baffert, but I dislike WinStar, and really dislike the China Horse Club. So when they combine forces, it's a perfect storm of bleh... too bad they currently own, what is it, 4 of the top 20 potential starters?
weeeeeeeee
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 pm

thinair wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Someone please tell me I'm not the only person actively rooting for Justify to not win.

I think he's a really good horse ( not that you don't ) but find the smugness of some people talking about this horse to be a bit much, so I'm not exactly rooting for him either. It can get really old being told you can't recognize talent if you don't fawn at the altar of certain horses. Can we at least wait six months before we decide his place in the pantheon of supposed greatness?
The child in me would just like to enjoy some wine while tasting the sunny tears of Californians. In addition to the above.

Excitement is one thing (and he does look exciting), but full blown ridiculousness is another.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Northport wrote:I don't mind the horse, or Baffert, but I dislike WinStar, and really dislike the China Horse Club. So when they combine forces, it's a perfect storm of bleh... too bad they currently own, what is it, 4 of the top 20 potential starters?
CHC is as bad as Al Shaqab. I find it impossible to separate politics from racing at this point.
Spahny

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
thinair wrote:

The child in me would just like to enjoy some wine while tasting the sunny tears of Californians. In addition to the above.

Excitement is one thing (and he does look exciting), but full blown ridiculousness is another.
I'm still in California and I agree on the smugness of his supporters. The horse has 3 starts and has never been out of his own back yard. An easy bet against in the Derby... If that counts as "rooting against".

I do like another California horse but I wonder about his soundness. The would be Bolt d'Oro. Hope he works real soon...

For some reason I don't want to give up on Enticed. He's also by MDO with a strong broodmare endurance pedigree. May not be fast enough but one tough little SOB.

For me this year there are a few to like but nobody yet to love.
stark

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Somnambulist wrote: Excitement is one thing (and he does look exciting), but full blown ridiculousness is another.
thinair wrote: I think he's a really good horse ( not that you don't ) but find the smugness of some people talking about this horse to be a bit much, so I'm not exactly rooting for him either. It can get really old being told you can't recognize talent if you don't fawn at the altar of certain horses. Can we at least wait six months before we decide his place in the pantheon of supposed greatness?
Can't help but think of the year Bellamy Road was 5/2 in the Derby.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Spahny wrote: I'm still in California and I agree on the smugness of his supporters. The horse has 3 starts and has never been out of his own back yard. An easy bet against in the Derby... If that counts as "rooting against".

I do like another California horse but I wonder about his soundness. The would be Bolt d'Oro. Hope he works real soon...

For some reason I don't want to give up on Enticed. He's also by MDO with a strong broodmare endurance pedigree. May not be fast enough but one tough little SOB.

I mean no disrespect to CA beyond trolling purposes. Everyone I met there was much nicer than the people I've met here in NY.

I love Bolt. I'd love for him to win this but I can't see it. He's been looking so stiff in the mornings (albeit better as of late) I just want to give the poor guy some of my Young Living deep relief blend.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Enticed is a handsome colt and I love his breeding, too. However, he has some rather high knee action, and it makes me wonder if he's getting full extension in his stride.
There seem to be quite a few good quality colts this year, and a possible weakness makes me think twice about putting one in my Mythical Top Five.
Spahny

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Spahny wrote: I'm still in California and I agree on the smugness of his supporters. The horse has 3 starts and has never been out of his own back yard. An easy bet against in the Derby... If that counts as "rooting against".

I mean no disrespect to CA beyond trolling purposes. Everyone I met there was much nicer than the people I've met here in NY.

I love Bolt. I'd love for him to win this but I can't see it. He's been looking so stiff in the mornings (albeit better as of late) I just want to give the poor guy some of my Young Living deep relief blend.
No offense taken. I was just born there. So I've been told.

I don't have a win bet yet. If I was down to my last 100 dollars and didn't give a F... anymore I would put it on My Boy Jack's nose. If I had a couple thousand left I would play Jack -All- All - All $1 Superfecta.
thinair

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:56 am

katmandu wrote:

It's fixed on the website.

https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/racing/replays
katmandu

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for pulling that out!