Haskin: To Save a Life - The Greatest Feeling In Racing

Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Steve Haskin @SteveHaskin
8m8 minutes ago
I hate to say it, but if I'm on @TVG and a race from @deltaracing or Evangeline comes on I turn to another channel. I no longer can watch horses run their hearts out knowing where they very well could wind up. Delta and all tracks need to take action and stop with the rhetoric.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Dina @icareihelp
17m17 minutes ago
I'm completely BLOWN away!!!! Colorado Avalanche superstar , Erik Johnson just took us home with bail for Ole Doc Thank you so so much @6ErikJohnson WOW!!!

Michael P. Meadows‏ @Firehound55
*Ole Doc, Louisiana Thoroughbred Update*
https://twitter.com/Firehound55/status/ ... 8352205825
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Even when we badly want to...and have the resources...it's not easy to keep our horses safe.

Cosequin Presents Aftercare Spotlight: What Happened To Him Could Happen To Any Horse
In literature or theater, the term “everyman” represents a seemingly ordinary individual whose path or plight is common, relatable and could be representative of anyone. The audience becomes introspective, as they can easily imagine themselves in the character's situation.

The story of Vinceremos is the everyman's tale of Thoroughbred racing because it could all too easily happen to any horse, from a backyard-bred career claimer to a million-dollar baby. In the case of Vinceremos, it happened to a graded stakes winner and Kentucky Derby contender. For his connections, it's a story of love lost, then found again, and if all goes right, it will also be a story of redemption for one special horse and the humans who love him.

Bred in Kentucky by Craig and Carrie Brogden's Machmer Hall Farm, the dark bay son of Pioneerof the Nile had been a farm favorite from day one, with an impressive build and walk, and a confident but friendly personality to match.

Sold as a yearling for $140,000, then again the following year as a 2-year-old in training for $340,000, many of his connections past and present were eagerly awaiting his first crack at competition. The imposing bay colt did not disappoint, running a game second in his first start, then coming back five weeks later to secure an easy victory in a Gulfstream Park maiden special weight.

With Saturdays being the biggest day for stakes racing in the U. S., his co-owners, WinStar Farm and Twin Creeks Racing Stables, decided to see if they had a Saturday kind of horse in Vinceremos and entered him in the Sam F. Davis Stakes (G3). After the race, their view from the winner's circle made them start thinking they had a First Saturday in May kind of horse.
https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... any-horse/
WarBiscuit

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks, Sparrow Castle, for linking this story about Vinceremos. I've tried over the years to keep track of the Derby runners that did not fare so well in that race, and I've watched with dismay the journey of Vinceremos. Good to know that he is safe now. I do remember that he had quite a following that day at Churchill Downs.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Catalina

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Dina @icareihelp
17m17 minutes ago
I'm completely BLOWN away!!!! Colorado Avalanche superstar , Erik Johnson just took us home with bail for Ole Doc Thank you so so much @6ErikJohnson WOW!!!

Michael P. Meadows‏ @Firehound55
*Ole Doc, Louisiana Thoroughbred Update*
https://twitter.com/Firehound55/status/ ... 8352205825
Thank you, Erik Johnson!!!
Catalina

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 pm

And glad that Vinceremos found a soft landing. I cringe every time trainers/owners decide "well, one more race."
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Looking good...

Craig Brogden @craigbrogden
2h2 hours ago
Vinceremos starting to put a few pounds back on thanks @BH_AEberhardt for the pics @DanonymousMan improving everyday
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 am

This article by Steve Haskin is so important. Beautifully written, as always. And powerful enough that maybe it might start a movement. Although I'm not very optimistic, I'm hopeful. There are not only multi-millionaires at the top of the sport, but billionaires too. They are the people whose consciences somehow need to be reached. Maybe an article like this will reach a few.