Racing Trivia

User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2661
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:49 am

swale1984 wrote:That was tricky; I thought about Spendthrift but mis-read the question so many times I thought I was looking for a female ancestor!
I know it was a tricky question, I didn't know how to word it. Very glad you got the answer right!

This future Kentucky Derby winner nearly died in a fire when he was two years old. The fire, at a racetrack, killed 22 of his owner's horses, 21 of which were 2yos. Luckily he had been shipped to Churchill Downs with the stables Kentucky Derby entrants.

Edited to add: The colt was nicknamed, The Cosmetics Kid.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2661
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Flanders wrote:This future Kentucky Derby winner nearly died in a fire when he was two years old. The fire, at a racetrack, killed 22 of his owner's horses, 21 of which were 2yos. Luckily he had been shipped to Churchill Downs with the stables Kentucky Derby entrants.

Edited to add: The colt was nicknamed, The Cosmetics Kid.
One of the 6 horses rescued was Champion Beaugay.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Yep, I remember reading about that in one of the horse books ten or fifteen years ago. I think it was Elizabeth Arden's Jet Pilot. She sure loved and spoiled her horses, and that fire was a horrible tragedy. I'm pretty bad at remembering trivia though, so maybe I got some of this wrong.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2661
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Yep, I remember reading about that in one of the horse books ten or fifteen years ago. I think it was Elizabeth Arden's Jet Pilot. She sure loved and spoiled her horses, and that fire was a horrible tragedy. I'm pretty bad at remembering trivia though, so maybe I got some of this wrong.
You are correct!
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 am

Okay, I have one that might be easy for those who read all the old famous horse books. This horse was considered the best of his time. Most of his races were in 4 mile heats. Some folks called him His Excellency. Big hint: It seems like his 200th birthday passed unheralded in May by all but one sharp friend of mine.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 am

Eclipse?
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Yep, also know as American Eclipse. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1970. His story was told in John Eisenberg's "The Great Match Race: When North Met South in Americas First Sports Spectacle."
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Yep, also know as American Eclipse. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1970. His story was told in John Eisenberg's "The Great Match Race: When North Met South in Americas First Sports Spectacle."
Just finished reading that book, about three weeks ago! Great read!!!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Raven wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Yep, also know as American Eclipse. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1970. His story was told in John Eisenberg's "The Great Match Race: When North Met South in Americas First Sports Spectacle."
Just finished reading that book, about three weeks ago! Great read!!!
Yeah, I thought so too. He really wove in a lot of history, some of which was new to me. I love books like that.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2661
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:47 pm

I just read recently that he stood for $12.50 his first year and covered over 80 mares. Pretty crazy.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 am

And he raced again after he began his stud career! If I recall correctly, he was 9 years old when he took the big match race. It was quite a time and he was quite a horse.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:56 pm

As far as I know this Derby winner is the only one to be bred and raced by a woman!
What is his name?
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
bigred
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:04 am

Raven wrote:As far as I know this Derby winner is the only one to be bred and raced by a woman!

What is his name?
Black Gold?
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:41 pm

bigred wrote:
Raven wrote:As far as I know this Derby winner is the only one to be bred and raced by a woman!

What is his name?
Black Gold?
Yes!! Black Gold it is.
BTW he is buried next to Pan Zareta at the Fairgrounds infield!!
And his breeder was Rosa Hoots
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2661
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:54 pm

1.)Two mares are tied with the most Breeders Cup starters. Can you name them and their foals that started?

Hint: I am counting each time a horse ran, so for example, Passing Mood (3) - Touch Gold(twice), With Approval (1) (is not one of the answers)


2.)Name the two Breeders Cup winners with the biggest winning margins.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:40 am

Bump
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
Post Reply