Slaughter news

User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Catalina wrote:
second_glance wrote:
Catalina wrote:De los Santos at least seems to be done.

Excerpt from ruling: "14. If a discharge applicant has a history of willful disregard of environmental laws within the 10 years preceding the permit application, the NMED is required to deny the permit application."

End of excerpt.


That would of course not stop another operator.
True. But that part of the ruling, the language about adulterated meat, and other things were very important to get on record, IMO. After all, the ban on federal inspectors is temporary.
You are right, of course, and I am glad that that got included.
As time goes on, and with more injunctions and other actions that are taken, is going to cost more and more to get an operation going, IMO. With so many people who seem to be against this- may be enough to keep any new players out of the game - I hope.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
shortlead
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:16 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 pm

There was an article in the Sunday Los Angeles Times about the Roswell plant, a half page with a pic of Smiley Wooten, a county commissioner, looking over the lot fence at a horse, looking back at him. Unless I missed something, I get the feeling that the article makes De Los Santos a "poor me, everybody's attacking me" kind of fellow, wishing that outsiders would mind their own business and let him do his. I don't recall seeing anything about his repeated violations anywhere in the article. :x


http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ros ... z2rcfSTkMi
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:55 pm

I don't know what slaughter plants usually look like, but doesn't Mr. De los Santos' establishment (as seen on photos on the internet) seem a bit...basic?
Ziggypop
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:46 pm

WY legislator Sue Wallis, the face of and greatest proponent of opening horse slaughter plants in the US, was found deceased this morning. She was 56 years old.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Ziggypop wrote:WY legislator Sue Wallis, the face of and greatest proponent of opening horse slaughter plants in the US, was found deceased this morning. She was 56 years old.
I never wished her dead, but I can't say I'm sorry.
Ziggypop
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:WY legislator Sue Wallis, the face of and greatest proponent of opening horse slaughter plants in the US, was found deceased this morning. She was 56 years old.
I never wished her dead, but I can't say I'm sorry.
I hear you.
second_glance
Posts: 2524
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:28 am

Story on Vicki McCullough -- the money and savvy behind the successful campaign to defund inspections of horse slaughter plants.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/07/18/ ... are-js-lar
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:18 pm

second_glance wrote:Story on Vicki McCullough -- the money and savvy behind the successful campaign to defund inspections of horse slaughter plants.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/07/18/ ... are-js-lar
I'm immensely grateful that they were able to pull this off and defund inspection of the horse slaughter plants.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 am

And the good news just keeps coming.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... ove-judge/
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Ballerina wrote:paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... ove-judge/
Excellent!
second_glance
Posts: 2524
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 pm

The White House has submitted its proposed 2015 budget to Congress -- and has retained the language blocking use of inspectors for equine slaughterhouses. (Of course, Congress will ignore this budget proposal until much later in the year -- and the language could always be changed by Congress.)
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 am

Canadian Bill would tighten slaughter regulations

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... gulations/

Slaughter statistics

http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org/Ho ... ghter.html
second_glance
Posts: 2524
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Current list of organizations supporting slaughter:

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/list-of-shame/
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm

second_glance wrote:Current list of organizations supporting slaughter:

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/list-of-shame/
American Association of Equine Practitioners. Bastards! However, not every member of that organization agrees.

Here's a list of those organizations against horse slaughter -

http://equinewelfarealliance.org/upload ... ations.pdf
Ziggypop
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Ballerina wrote:
second_glance wrote:Current list of organizations supporting slaughter:

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/list-of-shame/
American Association of Equine Practitioners. Bastards! However, not every member of that organization agrees.

Here's a list of those organizations against horse slaughter -

http://equinewelfarealliance.org/upload ... ations.pdf
To have the equine folks backing slaughter is like pediatricians backing pedophiles.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
second_glance wrote:Current list of organizations supporting slaughter:

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/list-of-shame/
American Association of Equine Practitioners. Bastards! However, not every member of that organization agrees.

Here's a list of those organizations against horse slaughter -

http://equinewelfarealliance.org/upload ... ations.pdf
To have the equine folks backing slaughter is like pediatricians backing pedophiles.
Good one, Ziggypop. I'll have to remember it.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:57 pm

From EWA Equine Welfare Alliance

Here is the official announcement on the ban on horse meat from Mexico.

http://equinewelfarealliance.org/upload ... EN-TXT.pdf

This is some background info.

http://equinewelfarealliance.org/upload ... e_meat.pdf

And more good news.... We received word today that the continuing resolution with the defund language (no funding for horse inspections) is officially a done deal for the 2015 budget year.
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:52 pm

So far so good...
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Sounds like no more shipments of horsemeat from Mexico to the European Union after 15 January. I guess we get to all hold our breath that this doesn't derail between now and then.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 pm

This sounds hopeful, as inhumane treatment of horses during transport is a major issue for the EU, and that is likely to also be true of horses shipping to Canada.
"The transportation problem is also expected to affect slaughter operations in Canada, according to Scannell, who added the commission is close to imposing a "six-month" rule for Canada."
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rom-mexico
Post Reply